Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Covid-19 How are we doing? in the COViD-19 / Coronavirus Community Help Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Anyone feeling unwell?

• I am as healthy as ever

Votes: 51 85.0%
  • I am unwell with suspected covid 19

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I have had it and recovered

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • A member of my family has had it or is currently unwell

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I know someone who has died from it

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters
Scolmore Electrical Products

Gavin John Hyde

-
Arms
Esteemed
I still have a bit of a chesty feeling from recent cold. My nose is always bunged up following a partially successful nose op following a rugby injury.
Otherwise feel fine

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
All good here. I'm being as careful as possible and my family have been distancing for a week now.
Still have to go out and get food for us and relatives but local shops have good measures in place.

Hope everyone is as safe as possible.

Scratching around at home girlfriend finishes Friday. My mum has come down with something sounds like a cold she is waiting on a call from the docs.

electric al

-
Arms
I'm alright. Was outside the back door at rexel at 7:15 waiting for some gear to be shuffled out .It had the feeling of a none legit transaction about it .gear was summarily put down and counter staff made a bolt for the door 🤔

James

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Scratching around at home girlfriend finishes Friday. My mum has come down with something sounds like a cold she is waiting on a call from the docs.
Any chance you could change the title to
Covid -19 how are we all doing?

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
Never mind ring up the NHS, peaple need to get on this site so we can all put the experiences what and what not you get.

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
I’m all Alrite it’s all the others!.......the worlds gone nuts.....my neighbour asked me to get her a patch of roofing felt the weekend (mates a roofer) for her shed......called out to her this morning explaining they’ll be a delay as he’s gone down with the corona virus......her reply.........what’s that?.......me speechless!

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
mates a roofer) for her shed......called out to her this morning explaining they’ll be a delay as he’s gone down with the corona virus......her reply.........what’s that?.......me speechless!
wow, could you go round to the roofer house a drag him out off it. Hole you fix yes.

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
I’m just grateful for this weather otherwise I think my Mrs would kill at least 2 of the kids if they couldn’t go outside to the garden 😂
Post automatically merged:

wow, could you go round to the roofer house a drag him out off it. Hole you fix yes.
Nah he’s a big lump mate......I just speechless that someone couldn’t know what corona was.....it must be so peaceful in her head! 😂

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
There will be a lot of DIY going on soon. Lol.
just think with easter coming up there will no easter eggs rolling down any hills. Poor kids.

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Might as well use my time constructively....arrived this morning 😁29DC5B3F-44CB-4B19-97BA-F2F8EB8A138C.jpeg
Post automatically merged:

Sorry @James though I’d posted the above in @happyhippydad keep it light thread..

I still have a bit of a chesty feeling from recent cold. My nose is always bunged up following a partially successful nose op following a rugby injury.
Otherwise feel fine
That 'cold' might very well have been the virus... some people have had very mild symptoms, many of which are remarkably like a cold.

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
That 'cold' might very well have been the virus... some people have had very mild symptoms, many of which are remarkably like a cold.
I've heard it's quite rare to get any cold-like symptoms with it but you never know.

I think only widespread testing after the crisis will tell us the true extent of infected people. That is if such a thing is possible.

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
heard it's quite rare to get any cold-like symptoms with it but you never know.
there are three diffrant symptoms
Cold, sore throats coughing. And least of all death.at the moment I have snotty noise a slite sore throat. A bit tiredness. But my body's trying to resist it. so I will need my medisson at 6.o'clock call teachers best.

Last edited:

JK-Electrical

-
Arms
Esteemed
No problems here, thankfully.:)

I'm presently carrying-out an EICR in a rather large factory, and am fortunate to be able to carry-on regardless as we (my apprentice and I) are working between 4:30 and 11:30 pm during which time the factory is deserted.

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
No problems here as well, but in self isolation as the daughter had a temp and sore throat.
She is doing great and has been running around the house. No one else has has any symptoms. This is our second week. Ends Sunday.
I'm working from home. Missus is back to work on Monday (Essential worker)
Hope everyone else is going great and if they get it they recover quickly.

ipf

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Otherwise feel fine
A bit similar, I suppose. Nose knackered from various breaks and smacks...rugby. Cricket ball (top edge whilst batting) was the worst, before helmets. Bunged up and sometimes sinus trouble breathing at night.
Had two knee replacements in the last 15 months. I would have been in the mire if I'd put them off and left them 'til now!!
Generally feeling fine.

Last edited:

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
A bit similar, I suppose. Nose knackered from various breaks and smacks...rugby. Cricket ball (top edge whilst batting) was the worst, before helmets. Bunged up and sometimes sinus trouble breathing at night.
Had two knee replacements in the last 15 months. I would have been in the mire if I hadn't had them done in time!!
Tell me about it I’m waiting for a nose op and a knee op....both have now been cancelled.....although last week I had an op to remove some scar tissues on my inner upper lip and the surgeon unknowingly put a stitch through an artery......a week later I woke up at 2 in the morning with the bed and room covered in blood....had another emergency op in A&E to stop the bleeding....I’ll give hospitals a miss for a while thanks 😂

ipf

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Tell me about it I’m waiting for a nose op and a knee op....both have now been cancelled.....although last week I had an op to remove some scar tissues on my inner upper lip and the surgeon unknowingly put a stitch through an artery......a week later I woke up at 2 in the morning with the bed and room covered in blood....had another emergency op in A&E to stop the bleeding....I’ll give hospitals a miss for a while thanks 😂
Don't blame you …. Hope we all do.

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
It seems there is still some confusion,

the main symptoms to look out for are a high temperature on the chest or back and/or a new continuous cough (a cough which lasts over an hour or 3+ coughing episodes in 24 hours)

A lot of people have very mild symptoms, much like the flu or a cold, and the exact symptoms can vary between people.

The severity in a normal, healthy, person will be governed by the viral load, this means basically howuch of the virus they get in their system.
I'm far from an expert but my understanding of this is as follows:
If one unit of the virus gets in to your system it will begin to multiply and your body will begin to work out how to fight it, after a period of time your body will work out how to kill it and proceed to do so.
By the time your body has worked out how to kill it that one unit of virus may have multiplied to 100 units.
However if you start with 10 units in your body then by the time your body has worked out to kill it there are 1000 units in your body and you are far, far more ill.

It is not the case that once you have caught the virus you have it and that is it, every time you pick up another dose from another infected person it increases your viral load.
This is why if you catch it you need to keep away from people, even other people who have caught it.

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
I have a daily morning runny nose, but always clears by mid morning.
I get regular sore throats, but that’s an ongoing thing.
If I get something I’m not expecting, or really feel unwell, then I’ll worry.

A lot of people have very mild symptoms, much like the flu or a cold, and the exact symptoms can vary between people.
And I read yesterday that 1 in 3 people that have tested positive for the virus, have not reported any symptoms whatsoever !

From what I hear, have read and decyphered... an enormous number of people already have the virus or have had it and recovered, the vast majority of which having mild symptoms or none at all.

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
And I read yesterday that 1 in 3 people that have tested positive for the virus, have not reported any symptoms whatsoever !

From what I hear, have read and decyphered... an enormous number of people already have the virus or have had it and recovered, the vast majority of which having mild symptoms or none at all.
The problem with things like that is they are estimates, or plain guesses, it is highly likely that a lot of people have had it without symptoms, but they don't get tested or recorded in statistics so the figures are educated guesses.

JBW175

Arms
All good here thanks. The better half has just finished a bank of 3 nights at the hospital and ain’t back in until Sunday so a nice bit of rest for her.

lots of new cases arriving there every day and all the staff are naturally worried about it.

Wilko

-
Arms
Esteemed
We’ve both had scratchy throat and unwell feeling etc but so mild it could’ve been any regular virus. I’m keen to get the antibody test when they start selling it :)

i am fine know not sure if i had it earlier in the year had raging flu like symptoms high temperature and really bad dry cough it knocked me off my feet for about a week went away then came back with a vengance about a week later this was mid january long before it was suppose to be in the country , i am fine know and have been since early feb

i am fine know not sure if i had it earlier in the year had raging flu like symptoms high temperature and really bad dry cough it knocked me off my feet for about a week went away then came back with a vengance about a week later this was mid january long before it was suppose to be in the country , i am fine know and have been since early feb
Me and a couple of the guys I work with had the same back in Dec/Jan. I really felt terrible. Feel fine now though.

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Me and a couple of the guys I work with had the same back in Dec/Jan. I really felt terrible. Feel fine now though.
There was definitely a nasty one going round earlier. I had it before and after last Christmas and into new year. I was right for about 4 days then got it back again so more than three weeks ill in total. Initially had about 5 feverish nights with soaked bed, was a right walloper that gave me a respiratory tract infection. The missus suffered badly with it too but the kids had milder symptoms.

Contracted too early to be be covid-19 though according to the available info.

Just been reading an article from Oxford university and there saying COVID 19 could have been in the uk from mid December

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Just been reading an article from Oxford university and there saying COVID 19 could have been in the uk from mid December
Interesting, although if that was the case it would surely have escalated quicker and earlier ? Unless it was just unnoticed ?

seemingly it was unnoticed most cases were just put down to a bad case of flu/cold nothing more and i suppose a lot of the people just got on with it

seemingly it was unnoticed most cases were just put down to a bad case of flu/cold nothing more and i suppose a lot of the people just got on with it
It's not until the press get hold of things that they get noticed. There's never any fuss over the average 600 UK deaths a year due to normal flu as it doesn't sell.

ipf

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
It's not until the press get hold of things that they get noticed. There's never any fuss over the average 600 UK deaths a year due to normal flu as it doesn't sell.
How does that compare with a thousand deaths in a fortnight, though? Or over 200 in the last 24 hours and escalating?
The vast majority are dying whilst hospitalised and how many will be in a fortnight?

Last edited:
We’ve both had scratchy throat and unwell feeling etc but so mild it could’ve been any regular virus. I’m keen to get the antibody test when they start selling it :)
[/QUOT
How does that compare with a thousand deaths in a fortnight, though? Or over 200 in the last 24 hours and escalating?
The vast majority are dying whilst hospitalised and how many will be in a fortnight?
I read yesterday that if the total number of deaths after all this is over is <20,000 then it'll be considered a good result. That's 20,000 out of 75,000,000 people... that's 0.027% which is tiny. The usual death rate is about 500,000 per year to put that into some sort of perspective.

The issue that we have is more to do with not over-whelming the NHS...

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
I read yesterday that if the total number of deaths after all this is over is <20,000 then it'll be considered a good result. That's 20,000 out of 75,000,000 people... that's 0.027% which is tiny. The usual death rate is about 500,000 per year to put that into some sort of perspective.

The issue that we have is more to do with not over-whelming the NHS...
Don't think you would be saying that, if you are one of those 20,000?

As been said before, apparently the mortality rate of COViD-19 is much worse than flu etc. Much more is known about seasonal flu, and they keep telling me to have a flu jab. Nothing much is known about COViD-19, nor is there at the moment any vaccine.

ipf

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Don't think you would be saying that, if you are one of those 20,000?

As been said before, apparently the mortality rate of COViD-19 is much worse than flu etc. Much more is known about seasonal flu, and they keep telling me to have a flu jab. Nothing much is known about COViD-19, nor is there at the moment any vaccine.
…..and think of the measures taken to keep it to 20k.
Just look at northern Italy, NY's looking a bit frightening and god help the Africans if it takes hold.
I agree, it's stupid reading front page headlines like 'killer virus' when a small percentage of people actually die...…but 40 odd doctors dying in Spain, as a result, is a bit worrying to say the least.

Last edited:

-
Arms
Esteemed
Sadly as this all ramps up and escalates most of us are likely to be ticking that last box on the poll.

In my town a well known and popular woman in her 70's passed away with the virus in her system, RIP Eileen.

PEG

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Yep,keeping mindful of the risks and safeguards,we still have to keep positive and attempt bits of normality...

I have Takeuchi excavator to repair...so i have got the owner to leave it in the corner of his field for a week...to "sterilise" it...i will shortly be a lonely figure,head down,rrrs up,beavering away :)

James

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is with sadness that I report my science teacher has been taken from us.

The stress of living in a real life zombie film , having to heal the infected .
40 odd doctors dying in Spain, as a result,
Fatigue ,etc cannot be good for your immune system / Virus load !
.. Sleepy mistakes would be my worry ..
Well Done NHS.

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
With this saddess of old colleges and friends and family members passed away with this traiffic thing from china they have got to answer for. They tried to contain it is the plague over again. Most like sars China, made in China.

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Supporter
Personally I'm hating lockdown. Initially I thought it'd be ok, I set myself up a workbench in the conservatory so I could arse about doing rigs and wiring but I'm hardly getting a bloody thing done as the trio of trouble just do not sod off, even in the afternoon nap they'll only do an hour and that just flies, of course it's not helping that the daily routine is completely to cock to the point of nonexistent.

We're bedding down by 2/3am if the trio stay asleep (having gone down 2hrs prior, if we're lucky) but getting up before 11-12 is stupidly impossible

-
Arms
Esteemed
Would agree, routine is out of the window, especially with the kids. I've just hung the washing out...at nearly 3AM. I bet it rains now.

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
Sod the routine. It’s time to have fun with kids and NOT force them into regimented times.
I was lieing in til 11, but I started getting up early, and taking the dog out for a longer walk than usual if I was getting up for work.

I seem to be getting healthier... exercising more and not being tempted every time I drive by a macD or a bakers

hope I can keep it up

Wilko

-
Arms
Esteemed
... I was lieing in til 11, but I started getting up early, and taking the dog out for a longer walk than usual if I was getting up for work. I seem to be getting healthier... exercising more and not being tempted every time I drive by a macD or a bakers ... hope I can keep it up
Good for you !
I’m trying this too. Since Cat doesn’t need much walking I bought a rower, but I notice that I’m already slacking off and Wifey is relentlessly perfecting her cake baking skills.
F53728CF-D41B-463C-8F23-4D0D023584A7.jpeg

Last edited:

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I've started to do the exercises at 9am with 'PE with Joe' at 9am. I need to do something to keep me moving once a day.
Also playing lots of Minecraft, making a slime farm and digging out 4 chunks down to bedrock.
The kids have just got 'Just Dance 2019' on the PS4 so they are dancing in the living room with thier phones in their hands. It uses their phones to track their moves.

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
Also playing lots of Minecraft, making a slime farm and digging out 4 chunks down to bedrock.
The kids have just got 'Just Dance 2019' on the PS4 so they are dancing in the living room with thier phones in their hands. It uses their phones to track their moves.
We got every Just Dance since it started 10(?) years ago for the old Wii... still thinking about replacing the living room pendant with a clik rose I can remove so it doesn’t get battered
( in Scotland... everything’s battered!)
I wouldn’t like using a phone instead of the controller.... sometimes they let go!

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
We just found out that the ice rink I take my girls to in the winter is having a marquee built in the car park to be used as a possible mortuary. (If needed)
Place isn’t used in the summer, but that’s one way to repurpose the equipment.

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
Is anybody still working? Been on another forum, and some there think it’s ok for tradespersons to work in people’s properties on non essential work.

Having read the government guidance, I’m of the view only essential repairs or maintenance is allowed in people’s homes.

Whats the consensus here?

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
Repairs or maintenance. Does not mean a planned rewire or new kitchen or whatever.

There were questions earlier in the thread asking what would be counted as “essential”

no power, or no heating/ hot water... essential
Socket fried, or cut cables... essential
Pendant down, Ikea fitting put up... non essential.

it’s common sense.

you don’t know if the customer, or other trades are as conscientious as you might be concerning cleanliness. And masks, PPE, wipe downs with anti bac are no substitute to staying in your own house, away from everyone else.

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
Repairs or maintenance. Does not mean a planned rewire or new kitchen or whatever.

There were questions earlier in the thread asking what would be counted as “essential”

no power, or no heating/ hot water... essential
Socket fried, or cut cables... essential
Pendant down, Ikea fitting put up... non essential.

it’s common sense.

you don’t know if the customer, or other trades are as conscientious as you might be concerning cleanliness. And masks, PPE, wipe downs with anti bac are no substitute to staying in your own house, away from everyone else.
You’d be surprised at what some are arguing, possibly because they are tradesperson working in someones house or want tradespersons doing work in them. Do despair.

However, had to get our washing machine fixed. Repair company wanted COViD related questions answered. When bloke turned up, we had to have all touch surfaces cleaned, leave him in closed room alone. He then wiped all surfaces he touched (apparently) before he left.

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
All the while the government uses ambiguous terms like maintenance the self employed will continue to define it themselves...and who can blame someone with bills to pay and nothing coming till June, I’d say the government left it that way because they knew no money was coming, I’m not blaming them for that they need to design an implement an entire new system of handling out tax payers money at a time when they were probably under staffed, they couldn’t exactly order all non emergency works to stop and offer no money, but at the same time you can’t blame someone with nothing and nothing coming doing what they need to do...

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
I can’t comment on the money side of things; not in that position now, but have been.

But let’s not deny what that guidance is saying. It’s down to numbers and preventing the spread of the virus and the impact it could have on the NHS. Lets not forget, that while the virus is causing havoc, other illnesses & disease carry on.

Lets hope enough follow the guidance, to make an impact.

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Is anybody still working? Been on another forum, and some there think it’s ok for tradespersons to work in people’s properties on non essential work.

Having read the government guidance, I’m of the view only essential repairs or maintenance is allowed in people’s homes.

Whats the consensus here?
Absolutely not working unless an emergency.

Had quite a few calls this week though. "my decking lights trip every time I turn them on" Well don't turn them on then.

"Hi I'm moving up from London and fancied an inspection on my new flat before I move in" For what reason ? "Just wanted it done" Nope.

"Hi my light switch trips the board when I put it on. I've had a go myself, well I've not really"
What do you mean ?
"well the plasterer had a go at fixing it as he took it off in the first place then the plumber had a go but now none of the lights work"
Sorry, you've had all of these people working in your house ?
"Yeah they'll be here when you come as well as my family but we'll all just work round each other somehow."
No I don't think so.

It's one long ----ing bank holiday for all the idiots out there.

David Prosser

-
Arms
Esteemed
"Hi I'm moving up from London and fancied an inspection on my new flat before I move in" For what reason ? "Just wanted it done" Nope.

Could you not of just parked up side of the flat filled out the forms and charge £250 £500 (london tax)!

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed

Could you not of just parked up side of the flat filled out the forms and charge £250 £500 (london tax)!
Probably yes. Not my style though.

freddo

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
What, don’t even bother driving there :)
Probably the best way, the traffic wardens are out in force here handing out parking tickets like they are flyers! More damn bills to pay.:mad: I wish I'd taken a photo, the sea of windscreen stickers was something else.

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Probably the best way, the traffic wardens are out in force here handing out parking tickets like they are flyers! More damn bills to pay.:mad: I wish I'd taken a photo, the sea of windscreen stickers was something else.
Essential worker’s apparently then, it’s hard to take it seriously when they can keep on working isn’t it...😂

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
What’s the problem with traffic wardens working?
They can’t work from home, and they can work observing the distancing rules....
just because there’s a pandemic, doesn’t mean people can park where they like.

Probably the best way, the traffic wardens are out in force here handing out parking tickets like they are flyers!
They're probably 'parking attendants' paid by the council on a commission basis... so if they ain't issuing tickets, they ain't earning !

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
Makes you wonder why there’s so many cars being parked legally or otherwise, essential travel etc etc.

Have you seen that piece about people speeding on roads, because of so little traffic, 80 in a 30 etc.

freddo

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Have you seen that piece about people speeding on roads, because of so little traffic, 80 in a 30 etc.
Yes some of the driving around here has been appalling. Some drivers have been driving so fast or accelerating so hard it is clear they are not in full control of their cars by they way the car starts to fishtail. 2 looked as if they were exceeding 100mph in 40 and 50 zones. And a few days ago I nearly had an accident with a lorry driver who was driving on the wrong side of the road. No idea how far he got but looking down the road he passed all the 'keep left' bollards on the right.

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
What’s the problem with traffic wardens working?
They can’t work from home, and they can work observing the distancing rules....
just because there’s a pandemic, doesn’t mean people can park where they like.
Down here, and any other city, they are just exploiting the situation parking is extremely limited and people normally at work at different times nights/shifts etc mean a fluid parking situation with no one at work that’s not the case so zero parking available....the council are well aware of this and are dropping van loads of the b£@&£?&£s every where all the time......profiteering I believe it’s called 😄

Last edited:

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
I’m not traffic warden fan; but in my experience some people take the Micky. Apart from the one of exceeding your time slot in car parks by 5mins etc, I see no reason why people break the rules in other situations, parking on yellow lines, crossings etc. The rules are there for a reason.

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
......The rules are there for a reason.
And that reason is NOT profiteering.
People park wrong, there needs to be some deterrent.
fine them, they don’t pay, can’t afford it
Points on licence.... we need our car for work.... the get away with it, then go do it again..

if your house was on fire, or someone needed an ambulance.... you’de be annoyed if some cretin was parked illegally, blocking a junction or something.

On another note. Got an email yesterday from Admiral van insurance saying that they’re going to refund part of my premium.

can’t wait for that £25.00

let’s hope other insurance co. follow suit

What I don't understand with parking on single yellow lines... is that at certain times it's illegal for me to do it, but not if you have a Blue Badge. So... assuming that the parking restriction has been put there because they don't want anyone parking there... why do they then allow someone to park there ???

There's a junction near me that has single yellows up to it... also with a doctors/chemist right there too... it's always full of Blue Badged cars... so what's the point of the lines ???

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
single yellow lines usually indicate parking not allowed between certain times. e.g. 8am - 6pm. by our local shops, we've recently had double lines added. fair enough close to the junctions, but otherwise a pointless excercise. also, there's a parking bay for customers to 4 shops on a small parade. the slots are too narrow to open your doors, like with most supermarkets and retail parks. be OK if everyone drove smart cars.

Scolmore Electrical Products

Reply to Covid-19 How are we doing? in the COViD-19 / Coronavirus Community Help Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
Top Bottom