Discuss How do I enter reports when two circuits are in one MCB in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
For example the house today had two lighting T&E in the same MCB. I know it's fine, but as I test both 'radials' where and how do we enter them on an EIC/EICR form on the NICEIC online certification thing?

I can make extra lines on the circuit chart, but do we write them down as MCB-8a MCB-8b etc? I've only done one circuit one breaker per line on the form before. I can do the highest R1+R2 one, but something in me wants to record branch a-branch b etc. How do you enter them? is there an etiquette or an accepted way of doing this?

How many MCB's out there have extra circuits stuffed into them? millions, where do you note these officially?

I could be off the mark here, but surely the highest reading on either branch would be the R1+R2 you record.

Edit: If the branch was off a socket, rather than at source, you'd record the highest reading without a second thought

There are not 2 circuits connected to the MCB there are 2 cables connected to the MCB.
Everything that is connected to the MCB constitutes a circuit regardless of how many cables there are.
Ideally I'd put ground floor lighting and outside lights on separate breakers, but for testing just record the worst one on that circuit then?

What when you've found a third 2.5mm cable jammed in what should be a socket radial?

Do you know what it supplies and what the other of the three cables on this radial is for?
It was theoretical, but say ground floor final socket ring and the stairlift people have jabbed a switched fused spur off it. P*sses me off enough identifying which 2 are the ring when the extra neutral and earth are plonked in at random on the busbars, do we just treat the other mysterious interloper as a spur?

That feels as if tests I'm doing aren't reported. I've had old rewireable boards with 5 line cables jabbed in a fuse, I bet you've had similar. How did you approach the schedule of tests?

It was theoretical, but say ground floor final socket ring and the stairlift people have jabbed a switched fused spur off it. P*sses me off enough identifying which 2 are the ring when the extra neutral and earth are plonked in at random on the busbars, do we just treat the other mysterious interloper as a spur?

That feels as if tests I'm doing aren't reported. I've had old rewireable boards with 5 line cables jabbed in a fuse, I bet you've had similar. How did you approach the schedule of tests?

If carrying out an EICR it's unrealistic to expect that every unusual occurence can be fully investigated, so surely you'd code accordingly, makes notes as required and decide whether or not the installation can be deemed 'satisfactory'.

Reply to How do I enter reports when two circuits are in one MCB in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net