Discuss Cowboy electricians and trading standards. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Be careful of your FB accusations or you may find this scum actually been in a better legal position than yourself and he could take you for a lot of money, at the face of it, it is really only your word against his and he could easily deny he did certain things and claim thats how he found them... I truely sympathise with you, was any of his work notifyable as he wasn't a member of said scheme provider because the local council could also help although again they are lacking staff and money to chase these things up.

I would contact the NICEIC again and explain you are recording the conversation as you are arranging a meeting with a daily newspaper and they are interested how the scheme provider addresses such matters this should worry them a bit and may get a response ...but your best bet is the BBC and one of those shows that expose these dodgy tradesmen ..like watchdog etc, if you have pictures of his work and a report from a competent tradesman then you may be able to expose him the best way possible as they will look into areas you do not have access to... again be careful of setting up defamatory sites, I understand your anger and sympathise fully but best avoid a legal nightmare that could cost you dearly.

When your accused of defamation you will be required to prove you accusation, he will deny that that is his work and was already part of the install and then you have a job proving things, as I said your word against his... it is this difficult because some do actually try to destroy the good reputations of good tradesman for whatever reason so tread carefully.

You could ask for a report issuing for the conditons of the Electrics prior to the new Sparky correcting it and post the report saying what was done by said dodgy cowboy but this is still your word and his unless you can gather other unhappy customers and build a case together and expose him on TV.

Last edited:
I had the police come to see me few wks ago and threatened to arrest me if I call this person a cowboy electrician on facebook again.

I think that's a bit odd, hope you don't mind me saying.
Round my neck of the woods the old bill don't even visit people who've had their houses burgled,
never mind get involved in civil matters like libel.

Round my neck of the woods the old bill don't even visit people who've had their houses burgled,
never mind get involved in civil matters like libel.

They would if you accused the (alleged) burglar of being a crook on Facebook.

Facebook cases are easier to prosecute as plenty of people have already found out to their cost.

Last edited:
They would if you accused the (alleged) burglar of being a crook on Facebook.
Facebook cases are easier to prosecute as plenty of people have already found out to their cost.
I'd never put any thing in a text or online I wouldn't be happy for a copper or judge to read.
It's the way of the world these days :)
To the OP, I hope you get the outcome you're after !

I've report two 'organisations' to the NICEIC and in both instances they've acted so I don't understand why they won't for the OP?

From the electrical report. The mains cable running from the consumer unit to the shower was only 2.5mm as opposed to the minimum requirement of 6mm. The colour coding of this cable was red and black. Mr --- incorectly routed the cables instead of drilling through the joists,he ran the cable over the joists in a cut-out ,next to copper water pipes.He then routed the cables in trunking between the copper pipes,and across the boiler,this would cause them to get hot and is against the regulations.When consumer unit was fitted both tails used were blue,the live tail was covered with red tape,. Yes its a strange world when the police seem to be on the side of this cowboy.All the police have told me is take it up with trading standards.Which i have been now for last couple months +.

From the electrical report. The mains cable running from the consumer unit to the shower was only 2.5mm as opposed to the minimum requirement of 6mm. The colour coding of this cable was red and black. Mr --- incorectly routed the cables instead of drilling through the joists,he ran the cable over the joists in a cut-out ,next to copper water pipes.He then routed the cables in trunking between the copper pipes,and across the boiler,this would cause them to get hot and is against the regulations.When consumer unit was fitted both tails used were blue,the live tail was covered with red tape,. Yes its a strange world when the police seem to be on the side of this cowboy.All the police have told me is take it up with trading standards.Which i have been now for last couple months +.

unless you have something on paper, signed, that he has done this work, his response will be that that cable has been in for 40+ years, as that method has not been used since the 70's and red/black cable must be pre 2006. tread carefully or you could find yourself on the wrong side of a court room.

Reply to Cowboy electricians and trading standards. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net