Discuss CPC low R2 continuity reading ring final in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
I've just been testing a ring final before installing an outdoor socket and I got an R1 and rn of 0.6, but instead of 1.01 for R2 I got a range of readings from 0.1 to 0.51 and it wouldn't settle down, so I couldn't continue the tests.

I know parallel paths could cause a low reading, but I've never seen an R2 reading just fluctuate wildly.

Anyone any thoughts ? Oh should add this is a new build house, only 6 months old

Last edited:
Hi,
I've just been testing a ring final as part of an EICR and I got an R1 and rn of 0.6, but instead of 1.01 for R2 I got a range of readings from 0.1 to 0.51 and it wouldn't settle down, so I couldn't continue the tests.

I know parallel paths could cause a low reading, but I've never seen an R2 reading just fluctuate wildly.

Anyone any thoughts ?
Was the RFC Dissed from the board completely?

Yes, and I'm pretty sure nothing was touching anything it shouldn't have, but fair point I'll redo the tests in the morning and double check the conductors are well away from anything

Perhaps the CPCs just touching somewhere e.g. in the back of the consumer unit, or at socket where a ring has been extended out & back in, intermittent contact? Though with a new 6 month old build, these ought not to be so likely.

Or perhaps some other loose E connection giving an intermittent parallel path, e.g. a bonding connection loose. Again ought not to be so in a "quality" new build.

Reply to CPC low R2 continuity reading ring final in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock