Discuss Crabtree Loadstar RCCB Trips (And where to buy) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tarshmomp

Hi all,

First of all, i'm sorry if I am not permitted to post here as I am most definitely not an electrician (so excuse my ignorance)

Since yesterday, I have not been able to use any sockets, due to my RCCB Split-Load tripping. If I switch the "sockets" switch on my consumer unit, it will take about 3 seconds and trip the RCCB.

I went through all individual sockets I could find, taking them out 1 by 1, but no luck. Eventually, I switched off the water pump, and switched the "sockets" switch back on and, the main breaker didn't trip! however, soon as I turned on the kettle and started boiling a brew, it tripped.

I thought it could potentially be a problem with the main breaker, but I can't seem to find one the exact same anywhere.

So, what I wanted to ask was do you think, in your opinion it could be this causing the problem? and if so, where can I get them from.

Thanks in advance for your help!

20160516_231735.jpg20160516_231756.jpg

Welcome to the forum, from what you have described I would suggest you have a Neutral - Earth fault as its highly unlikely to be the RCCB unit, it seems its just doing the job it was there to do, unfortunately to confirm or locate the problem requires professional test equipment, these will be test meters you will not have or be able to interpret the readings if you did somehow get hold of them.

It really leaves me to advise you to seek a competent Electrician to come in and try to find the cause of the fault.

Agree with Darkwood, have you had any alterations to your house/electrics recently, any water leaks, put any pictures up on the walls, any drilling taken place????

Hi Pete,

The only thing I can think of, is I am currently redecorating my flat, and I loosened the sockets in bedroom and applied masking tape so I could paint sufficiently.

After I painted, I used a hoover, kettle etc for a good few hours, and when I returned to the flat the next day, my RCCB unit was complaining. I did unscrew all sockets in bedroom too see if any wires had come loose, which they had not however.

There was a slight leak before I purchased the property, but this was more than a year ago now.

Thanks.

When you re fixed the socket fronts you didn't catch/trap any wires behind the socket or the back box did you?
As said before, It sounds like a job for a competent electrician. If you post your location you may be close to one of the members on here.

Good advice to get an electrician in who can find the fault (and test the RCCB).

BTW, I think that the RCCB in the photo is from a Crabtree Starbreaker board, not a Loadstar. (Starbreaker has a fully shrouded busbar with plug in devices. I don't think that Polestar has ever had this feature.)

Reply to Crabtree Loadstar RCCB Trips (And where to buy) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net