Discuss Current Transformer and Power Analyzer Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

melvinlacia

So here is the set-up:Three current transformers shall be clamped to the secondary side of a transformer. Then two power analyzers will be connected across two phase of the 3 phase system because I wanted to implement a two-watt hour meter method. The reason for the transformers is to scale the current to a new level that won't exceed the allowable current for the power analyzers which have 10 A capacity. Anyway, I am working on a power monitoring system.So, I don't have a clear idea on how the terminals of the CT's must be connected to the terminals of the power analyzer so that the system would work out well. Please help me out on this or any ideas that you can share. Your answers would mean a lot to me. Thank you very much.

Two analysers only need two CT’s. What were you going to do with the third?

Please remember never open circuit a CT under load. The high voltages induced in an open CT can cause fire or death.

Like Tony, ...i have no idea what your trying to achieve with the set-up you describe??

Like Tony and E54 I'm puzzled as well. It would help us if you succinctly stated what you wish to achieve. Then we can recommend suitable test equipment and method to achieve you aim.

I also would caution, as Tony says CT's can be dangerous if incorrectly installed. Can you attach a sketch of what you're trying to achieve. Are the units you're installing Power Quality Analysers or data loggers? Some makes and model numbers of the equipment would be helpful.

Actually this is the set-up, the 3phase delta connected sub-distribution lines are inserted into the CT's (ratio is 300:5 A). So the current from this lines are being transformed into 5A. The maximum current capacity of the power analyzer is 10A, so we are going to apply the power analyzers from the CT's using two-watt meter method. The problem is we don't know the connection. By the way, the input and output voltage of the power analyzer is 220Vac.

Like Tony, ...i have no idea what your trying to achieve with the set-up you describe??

ok sir. I am going to clear things out to you. I am admitted that my description of the set-up was vague. But thanks to my friend Rackie.

so we are working on a power monitoring system.
1. So the
the 3phase delta connected sub-distribution lines are inserted into the CT's (ratio is 300:5 A). Three CT's for three lines.
2. Two single-phase power analyzers (
e-Gizmo AC power analyzer) will be paralleled to two phases of the line (e.g. A-C and B-C) to implement a two-watthour method. <you can also find the datasheet of that power analyzer from the e-gizmo site>
3. The power analyzer's capacity is only 10A. That is why, we used CT's.

Our problem: we are not sure on how this set-up is to be wired. We need your help. Thank you very much in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

ok sir. I am going to clear things out to you. I am admitted that my description of the set-up was vague. But thanks to my friend Rackie.

1. So the
the 3phase delta connected sub-distribution lines are inserted into the CT's (ratio is 300:5 A). Three CT's for three lines.
http://www.e-gizmo.com/KIT/PAnalyzer.htm) will be paralleled to two phases of the line (e.g. A-C and B-C) to implement a two-watthour method. <you can also find the datasheet of that power analyzer from the e-gizmo site>

Our problem: we are not sure on how this set-up is to be wired. We need your help. Thank you very much in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

1. So the
http://www.e-gizmo.com/KIT/PAnalyzer.htm) will be paralleled to two phases of the line (e.g. A-C and B-C) to implement a two-watthour method. <you can also find the datasheet of that power analyzer from the e-gizmo site>

Like Tony and E54 I'm puzzled as well. It would help us if you succinctly stated what you wish to achieve. Then we can recommend suitable test equipment and method to achieve you aim.

I am very sorry if I have made you confused.
Maybe I should rephrase my description of the set-up. I hope this time, it would now make sense to you.

So here it is:

1. So the the 3phase delta connected sub-distribution lines are inserted into the CT's (ratio is 300:5 A). Three CT's for three lines.
2. Two single-phase power analyzers (e-Gizmo AC power analyzer) will be paralleled to two phases of the line (e.g. A-C and B-C) to implement a two-watthour method. <you can also find the datasheet of that power analyzer from the e-gizmo site>

Reply to Current Transformer and Power Analyzer Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock