Discuss Customer didn't get his Smart Meter. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dave OCD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Had a call earlier from a chap I've worked for in the past, his CU [renewed around 12 years ago] and meter is sited in a cupboard under the stairs. The meter fitter was 'on site' and concerned about a buzzing sound in the aforementioned cupboard. He thought it could be dangerous and also thought there was a loose connection... So the chap I know put him on the phone and I explained that it could just be an MCB as some do make a bit of noise, I said could he switch them off one at a time and see when the buzzing stops ? No he said, not allowed to do that, so I suggested he fit the meter and I would check out the buzzing on the way home, ok he said.
So I called in on the way home and stuck my head in the cupboard, worked out within about 5 seconds that the offending sound was the doorbell transformer, totally harmless- it's also on it's own labelled circuit so not difficult to work out. And would you believe the old meter was still there, "Too risky" to fit the new one apparently. So the customer has now told his supplier that he won't be having a Smart meter now.:rolleyes:

Had a call earlier from a chap I've worked for in the past, his CU [renewed around 12 years ago] and meter is sited in a cupboard under the stairs. The meter fitter was 'on site' and concerned about a buzzing sound in the aforementioned cupboard. He thought it could be dangerous and also thought there was a loose connection... So the chap I know put him on the phone and I explained that it could just be an MCB as some do make a bit of noise, I said could he switch them off one at a time and see when the buzzing stops ? No he said, not allowed to do that, so I suggested he fit the meter and I would check out the buzzing on the way home, ok he said.
So I called in on the way home and stuck my head in the cupboard, worked out within about 5 seconds that the offending sound was the doorbell transformer, totally harmless- it's also on it's own labelled circuit so not difficult to work out. And would you believe the old meter was still there, "Too risky" to fit the new one apparently. So the customer has now told his supplier that he won't be having a Smart meter now.:rolleyes:
They wouldn't give me an interview when I applied as a Trainee, think I just might have sussed the problem out, but hey ho I'll stick with my Age UK volunteering job.

I think a lot of people fall for the sales patter, how wonderful they are etc. I know of one or two retired people who watch them most of the day, making sure they don't venture out of the green zone. :rolleyes:

They wouldn't give me an interview when I applied as a Trainee, think I just might have sussed the problem out, but hey ho I'll stick with my Age UK volunteering job.

You'd have figured it out instantly Pete, old brown Friedland transformer humming away, quietly really. This is my point , they seem to be letting people do a potentially dangerous job that's important to do properly who by definition just aren't competent !

You'd have figured it out instantly Pete, old brown Friedland transformer humming away, quietly really. This is my point , they seem to be letting people do a potentially dangerous job that's important to do properly who by definition just aren't competent !
I think they deemed me as to old, although they would never say that , would they? Quite looking forward to bunging in a few meters, it's only a couple of wires after all, and if you can become an Electrician after a few weeks training????

I think they deemed me as to old, although they would never say that , would they? Quite looking forward to bunging in a few meters, it's only a couple of wires after all, and if you can become an Electrician after a few weeks training????
There's a lot to be said older and wiser.

What is the issue some members on here have with Smart Meters?
I've been refused one up to now because I have PV panels, but I believe I can get one now.
I'm in two minds whether to get one or not.

Personally, I would like my meters read automatically. I would also like to know how much electricity I was using in real time... Cut my usage, cut my bills, save the planet etc.

Another question I have is how would I go about applying to become an installer. Would a supplier take on a self employed spark as a contractor rather than on PAYE.

What is the issue some members on here have with Smart Meters?
I've been refused one up to now because I have PV panels, but I believe I can get one now.
I'm in two minds whether to get one or not.

Personally, I would like my meters read automatically. I would also like to know how much electricity I was using in real time... Cut my usage, cut my bills, save the planet etc.

Another question I have is how would I go about applying to become an installer. Would a supplier take on a self employed spark as a contractor rather than on PAYE.

Do you think the 'Smart Meters' are safe? Unhackable?
Why do they want to send the information they receive to other companies? Why have you got to 'opt out' of this? Why can't you just 'opt in' if you want this meter info shared? What info are they actually sending?
They could be able to see when you are on holiday, by the low volume of energy used. When, and I say WHEN, someone figures out how to hack the signal from the meters then they will also be able to know when the house is empty.
Can we see what info is being sent out?
The gas meters only update every half-an-hour as they are battery powered. Not really 'real time'
How will the meter save you energy? Will you stop switching the toaster, washing machine, TV on?
If you want to know how much energy you are using now just buy yourself an 'Owl Energy Monitor' or something like that.

QUOTE - [ What is the issue some members on here have with Smart Meters? ].

The vast amount of people in Australia after fitting "smart meters' have had significant increases in their electricity bills. Why ?
Because with a smart meter they charge significantly more for electricity during peak periods. And with dumb meters they could not do that,
So really the main reason for introducing smart meters is so they can make more money by tarrifs that vary. We already pay way too much for electricity, now they want to gouge us even more !

Do you think the 'Smart Meters' are safe? Unhackable?
Do you think key fobs for vehicles are unhackable? Meters have to be secure or you will have people adjusting their usage down

Why do they want to send the information they receive to other companies?
They probably already do. To meter reading companies and other suppliers if you want to change.

What info are they actually sending?
Smart meters will hold no other data than meter id number and meter readings. The supply company will then bill the address associated with that id.

They could be able to see when you are on holiday, by the low volume of energy used.
Timer lights, burglar alarm and trusted neighbour with key.

The gas meters only update every half-an-hour as they are battery powered. Not really 'real time'
Meh :)

How will the meter save you energy? Will you stop switching the toaster, washing machine, TV on?
I might be more likely to turn off computers and TV's completely. But it probably wont make any difference

If you want to know how much energy you are using now just buy yourself an 'Owl Energy Monitor' or something like that.
I've already got "something like that" but it doesn't know the difference between whats being used and what the PV is sending back to grid.

At a customers house 2 yrs ago, speaking to her relative from Canada, who worked for a smart meter company said to me avoid as they had many issues with inaccurate readings and the same were used in UK !! You can refuse to have one fitted, some companies are using it as a good excuse to get rid of E10 for E7 smart ones.;)

At a customers house 2 yrs ago, speaking to her relative from Canada, who worked for a smart meter company said to me avoid as they had many issues with inaccurate readings and the same were used in UK !! You can refuse to have one fitted, some companies are using it as a good excuse to get rid of E10 for E7 smart ones.;)
Smart meters can be schemed to any current tariff including E10, bit of a PITA if replacing a 5 wire classic to a 4 wire Smart though!

Watch if you have a smart meter and solar panels.
They can use the smart meter to obtain actual export readings and not deemed (50% of generation), if they do this they could cut your FIT payments.

My mate refused a smart meter on these grounds because the chap selling (sorry advising on) the smart meter mentioned it did do actual generation.
As my mate is quite savvy and has one of these immersion things that diverts export to the immersion heater instead of letting it go back to the grid

It massively decreases the export leccy.

Reply to Customer didn't get his Smart Meter. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock