Discuss Cut Telephone cable: need to rewire in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So far I'm struggling to identify the cable in use here. I've attached a photo, could someone point me in the right direction of a wiring reference guide so I can attach a standard telephone socket for broadband?

Cut Telephone cable: need to rewire IMG_1120 - EletriciansForums.net

looking at the number of tails for the bt ,it would be advisable to get in open reach ,looking at the amount of colours on that cable it could be any .

The cable is not a standard telephone cable, they are usually laid up in pairs, so it has been used outside of its normal area, therefore any core could have been used for the telephone service.
Your best bet would be to find the other end of the cable and see which cores have been used to connect to the telephone system and use those for your connection.
Checking voltage to find the 0V and -50V might be a bit random if any cores have been cross connected or used for other purposes at the opposite end.

That is a very odd cable, appears to be no tracer marks on one of each of the colours. Is there a second green wire and a second black wire we can't see in the picture. I.E. it's an "8 pair" cable, two of each colour?

Both the blues ought to be the first pair, but it's up to whoever installed it to choose which pair they were going to use. As said, the pairs don't seem twisted, so look forward to crappy broadband speed! The order of the colour code for the pairs is...

Blue
Orange
Green
Brown
Slate (Grey, it's known as slate though)
White
Red
Black

Everything up to and including the master socket is the property of Open Reach and you are not allowed to touch it.

This looks to be a 20pair solid colour cable. It will be used for major telephone installations. Unlike modern twin coloured paired cables, the installer creates circuits using different combinations of paired cables, e.g. red with white, red with green, etc, etc. This gives a considerable number of possibly circuit combinations. I doubt they will be good for broadband. Depending on how/what you are wiring, you need either a 2 pair or a four pair cable. Colours do not matter except that the ones used for the telephone line (connected to A and B) need to be the same ones used for the telephone in the socket. The ADSL/VDSL colours also do not matter as long as again they are matched into the correct terminal at each end.

Reply to Cut Telephone cable: need to rewire in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock