Discuss cyclinder stat blowing fuse in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Before I continue I will admit I did not carry out as thorough testing as I should have. I had just finished another job for him, just as I had packed up the van and was about to drive away "could you go and look at a problem for me..." I then had a very short window to get the job sorted out. Enough excuses....

When I started testing, nothing made sense at all, I couldn't identify any cables leaving the programmer and arriving at the junction box. I didn't want to start taking everything apart so I simply went through each step.

Disconnected the hot water side of the programmer: power stayed on. With HW ON channel disconnected everything stayed on.

Then disconnected each item on the HW side. The usual culprit I find is the pump but the fuse still blew with that attached. When I disconnected the cylinder stat the fault was removed. It was at this point I tested the cable I had disconnected at the programmer (blue) with the cable I had just disconnected (red) and realised there was a join somewhere. Indeed; on digging around I find another (hidden) junction box, which explains my initial problem with identifying cables when testing and making sense of how it had previously been wired.

We changed the stat, ran the hot water and central heating, everthing was okay.

In an ideal world I would probably return and rewire the whole thing so that there is only one 10-way junction box but we are not in an ideal world.

I was just enquiring as to whether people here have encountered a common problem with regard to cyclinder stats in order to at least give me a starting point when I return. I am quite prepared to put several hours aside on Monday to just start testing everything one by one but thought it doesn't hurt to have some advice in advance as my experience with these systems is limited

Reply to cyclinder stat blowing fuse in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock