Discuss Damaged 415v 5 pin socket needs replacing for RCD type. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I’m replacing a damaged 415v 5pin socket in an engineering shop which is been used for welding, this will need to be replaced with RCD socket to keep up with the regs. but my question is will the welder trip the RCD.

Refer to manufacturers instructions, write risk assessment if necessary. However...... why don't you just wire the thing into an isolator instead??

Refer to manufacturers instructions, write risk assessment if necessary. However...... why don't you just wire the thing into an isolator instead??
Sorry I wasn’t clear, In total there are 9 I have to replace which can’t be hard wired because they have to be unplugged and taken away periodically for maintainance purposes etc.

If replacing like for like accessories, there is no particular need to bring it up to current standards.
Having said that, RCD protection is deemed necessary for any new sockets installed, not exceeding 32 amps. The option for omitting RCDs with a properly conducted risk assessment is included as a last resort, and should document why it is considered that the risk of harm is lower than you would normally expect in the situation the sockets are installed in. Not the reasons why it is not convenient to install RCDs.
There is no reason why any machine should trip an RCD, but as suggested, check with the manufacturer if in doubt.

If replacing like for like accessories, there is no particular need to bring it up to current standards.
Having said that, RCD protection is deemed necessary for any new sockets installed, not exceeding 32 amps. The option for omitting RCDs with a properly conducted risk assessment is included as a last resort, and should document why it is considered that the risk of harm is lower than you would normally expect in the situation the sockets are installed in. Not the reasons why it is not convenient to install RCDs.
There is no reason why any machine should trip an RCD, but as suggested, check with the manufacturer
I agree, but going forward I believe it’s good practice to bring it up to current standards, but yes I’ll definitely check the manufactures.
Thanks

For something like a welder then fitting combined RCD/sockets is a better bet than modifying the DB as often the DB will be locked so if an RCD trips it is far less inconvenient to reset the accessible one at a socket.

For something like a welder then fitting combined RCD/sockets is a better bet than modifying the DB as often the DB will be locked so if an RCD trips it is far less inconvenient to reset the accessible one at a socket.
Usually the best option anyway with 3 phase. Those RCD add on modules for 3 ph mcbs are expensive and take up a lot of ways in the db.

Reply to Damaged 415v 5 pin socket needs replacing for RCD type. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net