Discuss Decommissoning Switched Fused Spur in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

nohammers

DIY
Reaction score
Extremely newbie question here. I'm looking to remove a redundant electric fireplace heater - it's wired into a switched fused spur on the wall, which won't be used again after the heater's removed. The spur is always switched off, and I don't want to remove the actual box it's housed in. Both ingoing & outgoing cables are your standard mains three-wire ones, like with lights and appliances.

I know to turn off the power etc before touching anything in there, but is it safe to unscrew the outgoing wires (the ones connected to the heater) and keep the ingoing wires screwed in? As long as it's always switched off? (Equally, would it be dangerous if it ever got switched on? It seems like it should work the same way as a normal plug socket, but I want to make sure!)

Or if that isn't safe, what's the best way to disconnect and isolate the ingoing wires while keeping them all inside the box?

Extremely newbie question here. I'm looking to remove a redundant electric fireplace heater - it's wired into a switched fused spur on the wall, which won't be used again after the heater's removed. The spur is always switched off, and I don't want to remove the actual box it's housed in. Both ingoing & outgoing cables are your standard mains three-wire ones, like with lights and appliances.

I know to turn off the power etc before touching anything in there, but is it safe to unscrew the outgoing wires (the ones connected to the heater) and keep the ingoing wires screwed in? As long as it's always switched off? (Equally, would it be dangerous if it ever got switched on? It seems like it should work the same way as a normal plug socket, but I want to make sure!)

Or if that isn't safe, what's the best way to disconnect and isolate the ingoing wires while keeping them all inside the box?
Perfectly safe to have a spur installed without outgoing cables connected to it.

Just make sure to check the tightness of the incoming cables (ring) while you have the chance and also if your worried about the switch being turned on which wouldn't be a problem anyway you could always remove the fuse

Reply to Decommissoning Switched Fused Spur in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net