Discuss Defining what equipment has protective conductor current in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an engineer who has failed a wall mounted data cabinet because the PDU is hard wired into a switched fused spur, the spur is spurred off a ring main in 2.5/1.5 twin and earth.

He has failed it under regulation: 543.7.203 The wiring of every final circuit and distribution circuit intended to supply one or more items of equipment, such that the total protective conductor current is likely to exceed 10 mA, shall have a high integrity protective connection complying with one or more of the following:
(ii) A single copper protective conductor having a cross -sectional area of not less than 4mm, complying with the requirements of regulation 543.2 and 543.3, the protective conductor being enclosed to provide additional protection against mechanical damage, for example, within a flexible conduit.

My question is, how can you determine the protective conductor current of a piece of equipment? This is a wall mounted cabinet with a few switches in it, no servers pulling high amounts of power and I doubt the cabinet as a whole is exceeding 3.5 mA (Reg 543.7.201) let a lone 10 mA. Unfortunately I am not signing my name to the test results and I need to make sure we're doing things properly.

Hi all,

I have an engineer who has failed a wall mounted data cabinet because the PDU is hard wired into a switched fused spur, the spur is spurred off a ring main in 2.5/1.5 twin and earth.

He has failed it under regulation: 543.7.203 The wiring of every final circuit and distribution circuit intended to supply one or more items of equipment, such that the total protective conductor current is likely to exceed 10 mA, shall have a high integrity protective connection complying with one or more of the following:
(ii) A single copper protective conductor having a cross -sectional area of not less than 4mm, complying with the requirements of regulation 543.2 and 543.3, the protective conductor being enclosed to provide additional protection against mechanical damage, for example, within a flexible conduit.

My question is, how can you determine the protective conductor current of a piece of equipment? This is a wall mounted cabinet with a few switches in it, no servers pulling high amounts of power and I doubt the cabinet as a whole is exceeding 3.5 mA (Reg 543.7.201) let a lone 10 mA. Unfortunately I am not signing my name to the test results and I need to make sure we're doing things properly.
You need an Earth Leakage Clamp Ammeter, (not a cheap item)

Hi all,

Ben does the item of equipment have an details as to the predicted earth leakage? I take it from your post that the Ring Final Circuit RFC has not been wired as per regulation 543.7.2.201 pagev87 On Site Guide 18th Edition

Thank you for the replies, I misunderstood the whole picture of the failure and focused solely on this problem, I am human and still learning the vast information the BS hold! Next question is how do I remove a post so I don't get bombarded with replies?

Reply to Defining what equipment has protective conductor current in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net