Discuss Dimmer Switch question? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MrTrance

Hi all, long time no speak (been to Thailand).

In my bedroom my main light is a metal strip with 4 spotlights on it, I was just wondering can you have a dimmer on these or does it **** em up?

Also do I have to **** around with anything in the cieling or is it just a case of taking the 1 way switch off and putting a 1 way dimmer switch on?

cheers.

SHould be fine with a 400W dimmer.

Generally, the dimmer should be roughly 50% derated when used with halogens.

And yes, all you need to do is swap out the switch with your dimmer.

However, if the metal back box is only 16mm deep you will either need to chase in a deeper box (25mm) or, MK do a dimmer supplied with a spacer that enables it to be fitted to the shallow boxes. Bit more expensive tho.

Can somebody give me a link to buy one online, nothing over £20, either metal or plastic (no brass ones).

The maximum load is definately 200 watts (4x50watt halogens), and there all on the one single light fitting in my bedroom (So I think I need 1 gang and 1 way)

Oh also, preferably an MK one because I am sure my back boxes are only 16mm deep (but I will double check tomorow)

Cheers people

Last edited by a moderator:
got the same prob withmine matey, just gonna chop it out a bit more, instead of a turny dimmer, i got one of those single button ones, hold it down n it dims, hopefully it'll be good :)

Reply to Dimmer Switch question? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

our dimmer switch stopped working after 7 years so went to replace it at the weekend. When I opened it up, the black wire was in the common slot...
Replies
Views
I have purchased spotlights as below, but they are flickering when I dimmed them down to around 15-20%. We have installed 8 x ALUSSO LED Recessed...
Replies
Views
I was at a customers house changing a socket and they asked me a question about their lights. Some of the lights in the house suddenly get...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm in need of some advice. First of all i'm not an electrician but do have an understanding of electrics as i come from an electronics...
Replies
Views
I really need help with this puzzler. First - I am moderately 'skilled' in day-to-day basic wiring. My puzzle: I am trying to replace a...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock