Discuss Dishwasher power hot - too short to reach a power socket in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I hope someone might be able to offer some advice to a DIYer?

So I've been using my dishwasher for years and only just noticed the cable is getting hot, enough to feel very hot to touch. Only at one point for about 3 inches back from the plug (a moulded plug)

I've read around and found the problem is likely that it's plugged into a 3m extension lead, and also because of repeated unplugging there may be damage to the wires coming into the plug?...but I can't move it easily it's in the only place it can reach the water connections...

The power connection in the back of the machine doesn't look easy to remove (for good reason no doubt!) in order to swap in a whole ne longer lead...

Is it safe to cut and join a longer suitable resistance lead with a connector box? That way it will reach a spare dedicated hard wire wall point.... Although I feel I want to be able to check it's not getting hot after a repair and having it behind worktops worries me!

Any advice I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks
Gray

It is likely that the hot spot in the cable is being caused by previous damage.
Some of the conductor strands have broken and that is causing a high resistance point in the cable that is acting as a heating element.

Unplug the appliance and do not use it until it has been repaired properly.

Extension leads are generally not a good idea for high power appliances like dishwashers, tumble driers etc.

If you must use one, ensure it is rated at 13 amps, also ensure that none of it is coiled up, it MUST BE FULLY UNWOUND.

It would be far better to replace the entire cable from appliance to plug (with a new plug) than to attempt some form of cable joint.

Many thanks indeed James, I'll look up how to remove the cable from the back of the machine and replace the whole lot.

Thanks again for your help. ??
should be a simple job to replace cable. once you have opened the machine ( usually 2 screws at back of top cover and cover slides or clips off). see where the cable connects. might need to fit spade connectors to new. longer cable. replace cable with 1.5mm flex and fit new plug. obviously unplug machine from supply before poking inside.

I just wanted to thank you both for your help, all sorted with a longer 1.5mm cable from machine to wall ?? the spade fittings would have been a pain if I hadn't found my wife's crimping tool in her jewellery making kit!

Thanks again, very grateful ??

Reply to Dishwasher power hot - too short to reach a power socket in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net