Discuss Do I need to join a body in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi guys
Just a quickie, do I need to join a competent person scheme? The company I work for want to use me for occasional electrical work, I have a tester and have used the test sheets from 7671, I want to get more involved in commercial work on the side but do I or my current company need to join the eca etc? Or can I go and source work as well as do what they require with my current qualifications (2365 lv3) (17th)
Thanks for any advice guys

hi guys
Just a quickie, do I need to join a competent person scheme? The company I work for want to use me for occasional electrical work, I have a tester and have used the test sheets from 7671, I want to get more involved in commercial work on the side but do I or my current company need to join the eca etc? Or can I go and source work as well as do what they require with my current qualifications (2365 lv3) (17th)
Thanks for any advice guys
What work does your current company carry out?

I have been doing commercial work for the last several years and not been in a competent body at any point. Only joined recently as the CEO insisted I get up to date and qualified so I joined STROMA just to go back to domestic. It really only is necessary to get CPS scheme if you are doing domestic.

I have been doing commercial work for the last several years and not been in a competent body at any point. Only joined recently as the CEO insisted I get up to date and qualified so I joined STROMA just to go back to domestic. It really only is necessary to get CPS scheme if you are doing domestic.
I did think that but wanted confirmation from people like yourself who have been in the game longer then I have, my work is of a high standard and I test everything, just want to ensure there isn't some small print somewhere I've missed

Well I must say doing the courses I did has got me up to date big time. It has totally changed my work method and paperworkareus now. But if you can do the job, no problem. Of course the testing proves your work and if you have the paper trail to cover the derriere you will be fine. There is no small print on it at all.

I just had a quick look at stroma the pricing seems pretty reasonable, I'll look into more detail tomorrow I wouldn't mind doing domestic work Just need a bit more confidence with lighting, I havnt done enough of it, I have a copy of all all Certs I've done just in case

I just had a quick look at stroma the pricing seems pretty reasonable, I'll look into more detail tomorrow I wouldn't mind doing domestic work Just need a bit more confidence with lighting, I havnt done enough of it, I have a copy of all all Certs I've done just in case
Bit confused here you say you haven't done much lighting ? What electrical installation experience do you have.

Beware of doing sockets anywhere without considering 411.3.3 and RCD's it still applies in light commercial. Especially if the place has a door to outside and they can use electrical equipment outside.

Bit confused here you say you haven't done much lighting ? What electrical installation experience do you have.
I have my 4 years at college which covers 2 plate and 3 plate lighting but actually working in people's houses I've not done to much, with ring finals and radials etc I've a lot of site experience and have worked along side electricians for years, and I have my trusty osg if there is anything I'm unsure of
To be honest if I have any doubts with what I'm doing I ask those in the know and I do my own research

If you are doing domestic work that is notifiable (new circuits, consumer unit, alterations to bathroom circuits inside the zones, alterations to swimming pool and sauna circuits) then joining a self certification scheme is good financial sense.
If you are doing commercial work then some companies want the electrician to be registered as they believe it demonstrates competence.

Reply to Do I need to join a body in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net