Discuss Do I really need the yellow book for 17th edition exam? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

munty12

Do I really need the yellow book for the 17th edition exam? I've been in touch with Guildford college, and they say I can sit the exam ONLY for £100. Which is great news. Only I don't fancy forking out £70 for the yellow book (chances are I'll never use it again!) I know it is theoretically possible to take the red or green 17th edition with me, these being much cheaper on eBay, and then attach copies of the amendments to it and then enter the exam (I noticed ITC allows us to download the amendments for free). But I wonder is this actually practically possible? Has anyone ever tried it?

Do I really need the yellow book for the 17th edition exam? I've been in touch with Guildford college, and they say I can sit the exam ONLY for £100. Which is great news. Only I don't fancy forking out £70 for the yellow book (chances are I'll never use it again!) I know it is theoretically possible to take the red or green 17th edition with me, these being much cheaper on eBay, and then attach copies of the amendments to it and then enter the exam (I noticed ITC allows us to download the amendments for free). But I wonder is this actually practically possible? Has anyone ever tried it?

Hi Mate, I have to ask, why are you thing of sitting the 17th exam, when your only other Electrical qualification is the 15th? not knocking just you curious.

when are you sitting the exam? Even though amendment 3 has been published and has been on sale since the 5th of January it doesn't come in to force until the 1st of July with an exemption for the regs about non combustible consumer units that comes in to force January 2016.

Why wouldn't you use the book ever again if you brought it? Surely if you are working in the industry it would be beneficial to have.

Last edited:

That comment I'm lost with, what exactly do you plan on doing if your pass the exam, there's a vast difference between the 15th and 17th and if you already have the red or green book then no they will not do come July as even the Zs permitted values have changed so how would you expect to test your installs etc ..... your Regs are your wingman and should be refered to regularly to keep you from developing bad habits and getting behind the ever changing regulations.

As for your exam -- ask the examiner, as we are at a change-over point only he can answer whether you could use the green. TBH never heard an Electrician say they would probably never use the Yellow book if they bought it... well not from a competent Electrician anyway unless your job doesn't take you past changing lightbulbs that is.

Just be aware that there are loads of reg number changes between the BRB and the BGB.

So assuming you pass, why don't you think you will need the book again.

Just curious.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've never needed to own a regs book. There's usually been a chap who sat in the office, project manager or supervisor, who kindly sat on his bum and did all that sort of thing for me. This would be the same one guy who would inform me about new regs etc. If I needed to consult the regs, there was always the on-site guide. I always thought of the regs book proper as too delicate for hanging around a van, or building site.

Hi Mate, I have to ask, why are you thing of sitting the 17th exam, when your only other Electrical qualification is the 15th? not knocking just you curious.

As far as I am aware, in theory, any person can walk off the street and do the exam. No need for any electrical experience whatsoever. I assume that's why the industry views it as so important that electrician's show they have practical experience by holding an AM2 (regardless of how many actual years experience that they might have).

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think that it is possible to work for a company as an electrician with no qualifications whatsoever, and that I could work under the umbrella of the company's qualification?

There are plenty of online courses available to update to the 17th edition, but I can't see it as really necessary to pay someone to show me the ropes, not when there's a wealth of FREE info online about the regs, and how to revise for the 17th edition. I aim on immersing myself in it for a few weeks before I sit the exam.

The Correct Regs book is provided for the Test by the Centre /College.

The Pre training is only familiarisation with the Sections in the book and the format of the online test, that's the reason anyone can pass it.

If you have any prior electrical experience and can cope with multiple choice questions, you should be able to pass without any revision.

I assume that's why the industry views it as so important that electrician's show they have practical experience by holding an AM2 (regardless of how many actual years experience that they might have).

Whoops!! I should point out that to gain an ECS goldcard, that it is possible to follow the mature candidate route, and that they do take all experience into consideration (though I'm unsure as whether you still need an AM2)

The Correct Regs book is provided for the Test by the Centre /College.

The Pre training is only familiarisation with the Sections in the book and the format of the online test, that's the reason anyone can pass it.

If you have any prior electrical experience and can cope with multiple choice questions, you should be able to pass without any revision.

The center provides the correct Regs book, since when?

When I updated my 17th from 16th I paid for the exam only at leeds college £60 to £70 if I remember correctly, but used my own copy of the book (red then) its only provided if you do the full course of a few days at a high cost in time and money.

Its ok relying on others but if they are wrong and you install incorrectly the blame will come your way so I advise you to actually buy and use the book until you become familiar with it.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think that it is possible to work for a company as an electrician with no qualifications whatsoever, and that I could work under the umbrella of the company's qualification?

Sorry no disrespect but with no qualifications your not an qualified/proper/full electrician, your just another DIY person with maybe more experience/knowledge than some other DIY bloke down the road.

Michael

Sorry no disrespect but with no qualifications your not an qualified/proper/full electrician, your just another DIY person with maybe more experience/knowledge than some other DIY bloke down the road.

Michael

Don't worry. It bothered me too. But I know of instances where this has actually happened.

Reply to Do I really need the yellow book for 17th edition exam? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net