Discuss Do you need a calibration certificate on new equipment? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've been looking at buying some new test equipment and have noticed that there is always an option to buy with or without a calibration certificate. (extra cost involved) Surely if the equipment is "brand new" then you shouldn't need it... or am I wrong?

They generally come with a calibration cert but thinking if its been on a shelf for a year or more... I've always assumed with new kit the first year (from receipt date) is in calibration. But I wouldn't want to fight in court over that argument!

If you intend using an instrument immediately upon receipt, having an initial calibration certificate is probably a waste of time.
Your purchase receipt should be sufficient to prove the instrument is in calibration.
If however you intend placing the instrument in stock, then a calibration certificate which you can then date when the instrument is first put into use might be preferable.

Metrel MFTs for instance come with a calibration certificate which should be dated by the vendor and has a space for the user to date when the MFT is first put into use.

Stroma stipulate a calibration cert is required a year after first purchase, I am sitting with a calibration person at the mo and he says it is due to not knowing how long it has sat on the shelf, but a bit of a money spinner for the companies.

New measuring equipment or similar should come with a ‘certificate of conformity’ from the manufacturer, which is in affect a ‘calibration certificate’, which means it was calibrated during manufacture.
A certificate of conformity is not a calibration certificate. It’s a certificate that says the equipment conforms to the EN standard it was designed and built for. If you don’t have an in date certificate then it’s not calibrated. Whether that’s important to you is a different matter. Due to the nature of What we do at my work we don’t calibrate every meter. There are installation kits with calibrated meters but the rest of the time I use a multimeter for indication unless a site induction says otherwise. Is there voltage, is there continuity? I don’t really care if it’s reading 401V or 399V. If it started to really look like it was off the scale I’d probably look into having it checked but it’s not an issue I’ve had with a digi multimeter in over 20 years. I’d rather they were all kept calibrated but it’s not my call and I appreciate where the boss is coming from on this one.

My martindale came with a calibration cert but then also had blank spaces on that cert for date of purchase and re calibration date.

I'd like to think a MFT won't just start loosing accuracy from sitting on a shelf for 6 months, knocking about in the van and on site is a different story.

All our new equipment has to have a new calibration cert before we use it. Even if it's straight out of the box. It's not our policy but the sites we work at. :mad:

If you have a test box you can prove it against, or another calibrated meter take the readings and that should satisfy any certification body with it being a brand new meter.

It is a con that you buy a meter and you have to buy a certificate extra.
Listen up suppliers it pees your customers (us) off

The manufacturer must calibrate it when they manufacture it, otherwise it wouldn't read correctly. And that is probably the only time that any actual adjustment will happen as part of the calibration process, the annual calibration will rarely be anything more than plugging it in to a fancy check box.

Reply to Do you need a calibration certificate on new equipment? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock