Discuss Domestic EICR and covid 19 in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

thats correct midwest i dont agree with them either , however there view is i am under an employment contract to do EICR's in there properties which they deem as urgent health and safety work. they also tell me its there duty as a social landlord (tho im not sure why perhaps insurance related?)

Thats the crux of this matter. Your employer requires you to carry out your employment contract, whether you agree or not. Did you read my last link, about your employer taking your concerns into consideration. As said before this is new ground we are treading on, employment law might have things to say about this in due course, but it won’t be any time soon.

If you’ve registered your concerns, it’s now your employers responsibility. You can’t take the World on your shoulders.

yes Midwest i have emailed him my concerns and he responded with a phone call , they are now purchasing a lot of extra PPE and i will change the way i do testing , wiping down CU before touching R1+R2 at pendants instead of switches wearing gloves eye protection and mask with alcohol wash before and after . also the tenant will be asked to keep away in another room after asking them if self isolating or any of the symptoms .
If any one else has any additional ideas i would like to hear them.

yes Midwest i have emailed him my concerns and he responded with a phone call , they are now purchasing a lot of extra PPE and i will change the way i do testing , wiping down CU before touching R1+R2 at pendants instead of switches wearing gloves eye protection and mask with alcohol wash before and after . also the tenant will be asked to keep away in another room after asking them if self isolating or any of the symptoms .
As said before, I work in a carehome. Things are changing daily. Yesterday I had to wear full PPE to enter residents room, now I don’t. Situation is fluid. :)

Can't fully recall the full thread and it may have been mentioned already, but has HASWA been brought up? Your employer has a duty of care to all employees in the workplace..

yes i did mention that they seem to think the risk is reduced by using PPE, wiping down surfaces and asking the tenant to stay in another room

Has your employer considered that you and your colleagues could start spreading the virus around without knowing it? One of you could be asymptomatic etc. Sounds like the boss has little regard for his employers or the publics safety?

Indeed, that is a risk. Go into one house, pick it up on your clothes, go to next house, pass it on. Short of insisting on a full deep clean of every property before you enter, you cannot be sure you aren't going to pick something up.
You could always knock on the door, and while winking at the occupier point out that you can't be sure you aren't carrying the virus, and are they sure they want you in the house ? Manage a full week of refusals and perhaps the employer will think about just saving the petrol and sending you home ?

I have asked for a full RAMS statement , I did a retest just of global IR today (original IR was just over 2 M Ohms due to damp) and its very difficult to wear a mask , gloves , googles , head torch and test meter while testing .this could lead to a dangerous fault(s) being missed or even added.

I have been self isolating from the start, and around a week ago I was ill, high temperature but no cough, only place I have been is the doctors where he insisted I went for B12 injection, so reasonable sure I have not had covid 19, but Kenny Dalglish tested positive and showed no symptoms, he went to hospital for something else, and was routine tested.

My point is until tested no one knows if they have got it or had it so only safe way to stop it being transmitted is testing, there must be a point where they can test people and say you have had it and recovered so you can work unrestricted, and issue a passpolice certificate to say your safe to work.

i completely agree with you its an unreasonable risk to myself and tenants and i cant see how it complies with HASAWA 1974 and other laws regarding heath and safety

My point is until tested no one knows if they have got it or had it so only safe way to stop it being transmitted is testing, there must be a point where they can test people and say you have had it and recovered so you can work unrestricted, and issue a passpolice certificate to say your safe to work.
I read this morning that about 50% of those that test positive, show no symptoms at all... couple this with the news that it's proving far more contagious than first thought... on average one person will infect 5.7 other people... it's not looking good.

As for the anti-body test... one of the main problems they reckon is the almost undetectable amount of them in known survivors. That's been the problem with the quick test kits so far... they only show positive results for in people with lots of em !

yes tho as i still have a slight cough im self isolating again on the advice of 111
I can’t imagine if I was an employee and concerned for my and my families health that I’d be symptom free untill this is over.....?.....as some one that has employed people in the past there is no way I’d be expecting them to do what you’ve been asked unless it was an emergency, keep well mate and I hope you work it out ?

im thinking i may have the symptoms for some time as well, then again im also tempted just to say no i consider it an unacceptable risk either to myself (if i have had it?) or to the tenants ,if they sack me at least i know i have done the right thing and stand on the moral high ground , i have my 18th my 2391 and have been a QS for the last 18 months , so im not too worried about finding a job (when interviews are permitted again)

im thinking i may have the symptoms for some time as well, then again im also tempted just to say no i consider it an unacceptable risk either to myself (if i have had it?) or to the tenants ,if they sack me at least i know i have done the right thing and stand on the moral high ground , i have my 18th my 2391 and have been a QS for the last 18 months , so im not too worried about finding a job (when interviews are permitted again)
Never let morals or principles come into business mate....take the easier sure option and stick with the ongoing symptoms and know there’s nothing they can or will do to you.....tribunals are fickle longwinded things and if it gets to that point there’s always 2 sides to a story....

Personally I wouldn't be going into all those houses at the moment.
I did an EICR on bank holiday Monday as the flat was empty. Had a mask on, and gloves when I collected key from landlords bike shop. I sanitised the keys too!
Had the flat been occupied I wouldn't have done it.
Unless you are working outside or in empty properties I don't think gains justify the risks.
I appreciate if you are employed it's different as you don't make the decision but common sense needs to prevail.
I know a British gas engineer who is being sent out to service boilers in white oversuit, goggles and mask etc.. They don't ask about symptoms or isolation in the tenants. Just get given an address. . Its an annual service which could wait but if its not done by a date bg have to pay penalties as part of their contract to a large regional landlord Money above safety! Which we know is the BG way.

Its an annual service which could wait but if its not done by a date bg have to pay penalties as part of their contract to a large regional landlord Money above safety! Which we know is the BG way.
Not disagreeing there, but the landlord is more at fault if they are not allowing the dates to slide whilst avoiding penalties.

Reply to Domestic EICR and covid 19 in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock