• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Domestic EICR and covid 19 in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

newfutile

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am currently on 14 days self isolation and myself and my son have had possible symptoms of covid.
My job is EICRs in domestic tenanted properties.
what are peoples views on this ?
should i refuse to work ,should i ask for risk assesments and method statements with PPE
it seems daft i cant visit my friends and family yet the goverment think its ok to enter 10-20 properties per week
theres no way you can social distance or avoid touching sockets , switches ,FCU and consumer unit so how can this be done safely?

The guidance is simple; Do not leave your home if you have coronavirus symptoms.
Think he means after the quarantine period and his symptoms have gone @Midwest....but even so is there any evidence you can’t get it twice?...not sure I’d be risking it op

Depending on if you’re employed or self employed, you’ll get money now, or later.

No job is essential unless it’s serving the food or health industries

@Midwest....but even so is there any evidence you can’t get it twice?...not sure I’d be risking it op
those doctors working for the government are not coming clean about it
diffrant peaple like self had sneezing tired and my heart had plalpations. I now stated to think did I or did not get it and if I did not get will I.

those doctors working for the government are not coming clean about it
diffrant peaple like self had sneezing tired and my heart had plalpations. I now stated to think did I or did not get it and if I did not get will I.
That’s the problem mate isn’t it, you could have just had a seasonal flu and then carry on thinking you’ve had corona....I’m not sure the powers that be have all the evidence yet to inform us

The government dropped the term "essential" after a few days boys, it's now if you cannot work from home you should continue to work. If I'd got symptoms though I'd not go out
I don't really care how the government term their advice to be honest. Conducting inspection reports is not essential in preventing the spread of this disease.

The government do say you should not enter people's homes if you cannot effectively distance and the OP says this is impossible.

The virus is more likely spread through surface contacts than airborne, and let's face it, if this guy is doing as many inspection per week as stated do you think every touched surface will get wiped down before and after each inspection ?

This is a classic example of the need to apply "Common Sense" rather than searching the government literature to find the exact clause that's relevant to you.

So... visiting 10-20 occupied houses per week to do work that is not essential is clearly wrong... and the OP should be staying at home.

Occupied EICRs are impossible to do safely in the current climate I would say. Up/down ladders, in and out of rooms all day, testing at sockets and switches, moving stuff about to get to accessories etc etc etc...would have to deep clean each property and shove the occupiers in the garden for a few hours.

thanks for all your advice im employed however my employer considers gas servicing and EICR an essential service .
Ask them in writing for an updated risk assessment and health and safety procedure in light of new potentially fatal developments. Are they providing all the PPE to make this happen ?

Ask if their insurance covers them for you or customers suing them in the future for infecting households by continuing to work.

Ask for written instructions from them detailing that they are asking you to continue this type of work during this time

Tell them that you cannot effectively socially distance while in peoples homes and therefore they are not acting to govt guidelines.

Put the pressure back on them. It is their responsibility as an employer to consider all of this.

Reply to Domestic EICR and covid 19 in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back