Discuss SY cable on EICR again .... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

What reason would you use them other than shielded control cable when in the proximity of high frequency power cables?

The most obvious, and probably most widely used member of the *Y family of cables would be NYY-J, which has a plethora of uses.

The post I was responding to did not reference shielded control cables, but the *Y family of cables and went on to suggest HO5/HO7 as more suitable alternatives - neither of which are shielded.

Edit: In answer to your question; I don't design installations and simply work to the provided spec and often a BMS or EMS panel will have a small number of shielded control cables carrying 240V. Getting back to SY cable, while it could be argued that its 300V/500V rating allows for installation alongside cables carrying mains voltage, I'd contend that 16mm SY is unlikely to be intended solely for use with ELV.

Last edited:
This is an interesting topic which has digressed from the original point to whether the "Y" cable family should be used or not. In an attempt to add to the debate here is my contribution, ( a little long but as brief as I can).

Part One of the Regs is a good place to start

Regulation 133.1.1 states:- "Every item of equipment shall comply with the appropriate British or Harmonized Standard. In the absence of such a standard, reference shall be made to the appropriate International (IEC) standard or the appropriate standard of another country"

Regulation 133.1.3 states: - "Where equipment to be used is not in accordance with Regulation 133.1.1 or is used outside the scope of its standard, the designer or other person responsible for specifying shall confirm that the equipment provides at least the same degree of safety as that afforded by compliance with the Regulations".

Regulation 133.5 (New materials and inventions) states that "Where the use of a new material or invention leads to departures from the Regulations, the resulting degree of safety of the installation shall be not less than that obtained by compliance with the Regulations. Such use is to be noted on the Electrical Installation Certificate specified in Part 6.

As Eland Cables state compliance with British and European performance test standards, these regulations basically allow its use and the designer (which could be the installer) needs to confirm on the certification documentation.

However as this type of cable has been manufactured for flexible control cables, designed for measurement and control in equipment careful consideration should be given before use as fixed installation power cables.

There has also been comments made about the braiding on this type of cable. Unlike SWA cables the braiding is for screening purposes only and should not be used as a CPC. Using the correct glands will ensure that this braiding is connected to earth. The cpc of this type of cable should be a core conductor coloured green and yellow.

Now going back to the original question by Lozarus regarding coding. Coding can be another big debate but I always ask myself two questions. Is there an immediate risk of electric shock (open live parts) if not it can not be code C1. Is there a risk of shock if a fault/failure occurs again if not it can be code C2 . That now leaves us with a code C3 to use.

Therefore I feel that use use of this type of cable can only be C3

Reply to SY cable on EICR again .... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock