Discuss Domestic EICR and covid 19 in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I can see that gas servicing could be deemed essential. I can’t see that carrying out an EICR is repairs or maintenance, unless the premise has been subject to recent accidental damage, e.g. a fire.

However, your employer is the judge of that, and will be responsible if you working causes unnecessary health issues.

thanks for all the advice , im certainly not keen on either passing the virus around (if its that i had) or getting it . i think i will follow Andy78 advice and ask for the full written confirmation , i may end up just refusing to work as i consider it the morally right thing to do.
Please consider all of this carefully too. If you suspect your employer may try to bin you over this, then it may be wise to get union and CAB advice first.

I would contact Public Health England, seek some guidance on your dilemma.
You could give this guidance to your employer.

However, you work for your employer, under your terms of contract. If you will need to follow their absence from work conditions.

PS Acas is a good source of guidance on work place matters, including the current situation. They even have a helpline;

I also asked NICEIC as im a QS for my employer there. they sent this back

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 13.59.05.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 89
Please consider all of this carefully too. If you suspect your employer may try to bin you over this, then it may be wise to get union and CAB advice first.
I think a better approach is for the OP to talk to his employer so that both parties can better understand the situation, WITHOUT becoming militant with talk of unions, CAB etc. and 'binning' people.

I also asked NICEIC as im a QS for my employer there. they sent this back

Hmmm, what are the requirements for landlords on when to carry out an EICR. I thought it was before a new occupation, or are these non domestic situations? Could these be arranged to be done when the property is unoccupied?

This is very early days into this 'lock down'. Its new ground that we are all treading on, including employers responsibilities. They are not going to get it right from the off, and we are in this situation for a long period of time.

there are no legal requirements other than landlord and tenant act 1985 which places a duty to keep the property in a good state of repair , we comply to this (electrically) by an EICR on change of tenant and at 5 year intervals.
There is a new law making these compulsory which comes into force July 1st 2020

there are no legal requirements other than landlord and tenant act 1985 which places a duty to keep the property in a good state of repair , we comply to this (electrically) by an EICR on change of tenant and at 5 year intervals.
Existing tenancies have until July 2021 to comply.

I contacted public health england and while im waiting for a reply they sent the following advice:
The Government has now introduced the following measures:

1. Requiring people to stay at home, except for very limited purposes

2. Closing non-essential shops and community spaces

3. Stopping all gatherings of more than two people in public

Every citizen must comply with these new measures. The relevant authorities, including the police, will be

given the powers to enforce them – including through fines and dispersing gatherings.

These measures are effective immediately. The Government will look again at these measures in three

weeks, and relax them if the evidence shows this is possible.

You should only leave the house for one of four reasons:

a. Shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible

b. One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household

c. Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person

d. Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home

These four reasons are exceptions - even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent outside of the home and ensuring you are 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household. These measures must be followed by everyone. If you work in a critical sector or your child has been identified as vulnerable, you can continue to take your children to school.

So, it the current climate, there is no real reason to test for the 5 year interval (think about MOT's 3 month dispensation). The change of tenant could done when unoccupied between change of tenant.

Not my business, but your employer needs to think outside the box a bit more IMO.

Personally I’d say no @newfutile, if your boss does anything drastic after that which I doubt then I think any tribunal would likely go in your favour given the wholly unusual state of affairs we find ourselves in....certainly yours is a very unenviable position but your boss sounds like he’s trying to have his cake and eat it, the government is paying your wages or majority of at the moment so he is being quite unreasonable here,tough one as only you know your financial circumstances good luck mate ?

Personally I’d say no @newfutile, if your boss does anything drastic after that which I doubt then I think any tribunal would likely go in your favour given the wholly unusual state of affairs we find ourselves in....certainly yours is a very unenviable position but your boss sounds like he’s trying to have his cake and eat it, the government is paying your wages or majority of at the moment so he is being quite unreasonable here,tough one as only you know your financial circumstances good luck mate ?

Although I agree with your comments, his employer is paying OP's wages. A lot of the guidance does say something along the lines of 'if in doubt, ask your employer'.

As said, this is uncharted territory. Everyone needs to tread carefully.

I have a good employer and line manager. But policy is changing daily. Think the best collective advice, should be get some guidance from Acas etc etc, then speak to his employer about his concerns. If an employee doesn't attend work, without a valid reason, it could result in disciplinary action. OP may have his concerns, but the employer may think differently.

Has the OP been furlonged or whatever it is then?

hi midwest not sure what you mean by furlonged , on the 24-3-20 one of my managers sent this:
"Gas servicing and fixed wire testing remain an essential service and residents need to be reminded that access has to be provided for their own and their neighbours H+S with social distancing occurring between the contractor and the resident. Contractors are to be reminded to wear gloves, clean surfaces and take their own precautions etc."

though im not a contractor but directly employed by the housing association .

my 14 day 111NHS note runs out on the 2-4-20 , hence myself seeking advice if they say its work as normal

Agree it is a very confusing time and not saying this is the case here but some employers will take advantage, at least us self employed have a clear choice as to wether we put ourselves in potential danger or otherwise for that matter, we can asses every situation as it arises which is not a luxury someone with a bad employer has, the government needs to give crystal clear advice to these people, I know common sense blah blah blah but when people have the decision of putting money before health made for them it’s not right...
[automerge]1585493404[/automerge]
hi midwest not sure what you mean by furlonged , on the 24-3-20 one of my managers sent this:
"Gas servicing and fixed wire testing remain an essential service and residents need to be reminded that access has to be provided for their own and their neighbours H+S with social distancing occurring between the contractor and the resident. Contractors are to be reminded to wear gloves, clean surfaces and take their own precautions etc."

my 14 day 111NHS note runs out on the 2-4-20 , hence myself seeking advice if they say its work as normal
I can’t see how fixed wire testing is essential in any normal problem free house...unless there’s been a fire/flooding etc?
[automerge]1585493503[/automerge]

Not if your symptoms continue it isn’t ?

i agree its not usually essential its been ok since last test which may be 5 years ago, as a housing association we have an ongoing remedial repairs service for the tenants to report broken or non working items

I don't think 'we' can advise you.

When is it safe to return to work, if you've had COVid-19 symptoms, best speak to your own health care professionals and/or Public Health England.

Whether you should be doing this work in domestic properties and what your employer can reasonably expect you can do in these circumstances, Acas would be the ones to ask.

I work in a Carehome, when some enjoy independent living. We are only be asked to assist them with urgent maintenance requests, leaks, fire alarm faults etc wearing mask, gloves etc. That seems up for review.

As someone said, have you actually spoken to your employer about your concerns?

The tenants must be reasonable in providing access, however if a tenant refuses access then you cannot do much about it.

Reply to Domestic EICR and covid 19 in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net