Discuss EICR & the greedy Architect in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wiringgenius

After a comprehensive EICR at a 22 room 3 storey Victorian house in a little town, I found the wiring was around 50 years old and was full of lead covered cables and the ends all crumbling. The house needed a rewire basically so I gave a price which was accepted and more or less had a week before it was to start. The house was to be rented out and the new tenant had agreed that if the house was rewired he would be happy to move in.

I was called by an architect a few days before and he wanted to meet me on the job to discuss a few things that "hiss client" wanted. I didnt understand why he would be involved in a rewire but went to meet him anyway, I have never met such an --- hole in all my years, he had no clue about regulations, he said I should just patch it up and put in a new board???

The house was wired in crumbling lead, how it can be patched up is beyond me but he thinks it could be done. There was no earth at the lights, sockets and no main earth?? Not safe to move a family into, I mean some lights were on all the time(F+SW) making connection in the wall somewhere, if you hit the wall the light went off??? But the architect says its ok.

It turned out that the architect had been asked previously to draw up plans for this house for a refurb and that included the wiring which he had submitted a price for. I had came in lower than his rewire price and he wasnt happy.

I received an email from the owners telling me they had spoken to the architect and his electricians had advised that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the wiring in the property and it was totally safe???? This totally went against my report and he had obviously lied to the owner and told them I was talking rubbish because I then lost the job.

I submitted the damning report to the owner anyway and wished them good luck and expressed my feelings that the architect was wrong and hoped nothing happened to the new tenants in that house.

I think its pretty crap when us honest guys go out and report properly on the condition of a system then some liar of an architect comes along and over rules everything with lies so he can line his pockets and not even get his hands dirty.

Its pure Greed and this greedy little ignorant architect will get whats coming to him by putting peoples lives at risk.

EICR & the greedy Architect

Get the architects company name and find out if the people he is using are niceic or some other form of governing body and report him, if he is doing it on your job imagine how many other people he has lied to and got shoddy work done for them, people like him need to be muzzled or put down :)

The fact that he priced for a rewire bares you out . The client must be dim too. Did they come to you for confirmation of his quote , or to compare tests. As you say dumbos playing games with peoples welfare.

well the architect isnt good with maths is he ?
if your rewire price was lower than his rewire price then why not give you the job and he pocket the difference without having to do anything ? easy profit for him and no-one is the wiser.
doesnt matter anyway , grab payment for the inspection report and walk.
leave these clowns to their own downfall.

Tell the owner that if they do not believe your report, that they go to your governing body (NICEIC etc) and have them visit the site to see if your report is correct.

I think I would be checking if the architect is a member of any of the professional bodies (RIBA etc) and report his methods to them as he certainly doesn't appear professional

well the architect isnt good with maths is he ?
if your rewire price was lower than his rewire price then why not give you the job and he pocket the difference without having to do anything ? easy profit for him and no-one is the wiser.
doesnt matter anyway , grab payment for the inspection report and walk.
leave these clowns to their own downfall.

Could be that the electrical contractor is related to him

I think I would be checking if the architect is a member of any of the professional bodies (RIBA etc) and report his methods to them as he certainly doesn't appear professional

UNG has the correct line of complaint to go down here. If all that has been stated is correct, then clearly this Architect is not acting professionally both on a technical basis or acting in the best interests of his client.

Unlike all your scam providers, Professional bodies such as RIBA will take notice, will investigate and will take action if the case is proven!!

more likely an Audi........ Arsehole Uttering Drivel Indeed.

If the architect put in a price for the wiring (that was higher than yours) surley that says he knew the wiring needed work. How can he turn round now and say it is OK. Sounds like he has gone to the customer and undercut you to get the job. He sounds like the sort of guy who needs darts in his tyres.

Sounds as though the architect has overpriced for minimum work (that doesn't involve chasing walls and ripping open floors) and your spec would show him up. He's also managed to sweet talk the client in some way. If you have full confidence in your diagnosis against his, the Health and Safety Executive should be your next port of call as the property is to be a rental and the landlord therefore has a duty of care under the Electricity at Work Regs (and others)

PJ

I am sorry m8 something is wrong here your post states that he priced for a rewire he had allowed for in his quote and then you state he said it was safe , it cant be both can it ?

"It turned out that the architect had been asked previously to draw up plans for this house for a refurb and that included the wiring which he had submitted a price for. I had came in lower than his rewire price and he wasnt happy.

I received an email from the owners telling me they had spoken to the architect and his electricians had advised that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the wiring in the property and it was totally safe????"

Hi Bryanh
The contradictions in the OP just refer to the contradictions in the architect's and owner's 'story' as far as I can make out :thinking2:.......

Reply to EICR & the greedy Architect in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net