Discuss Domestic electrician course in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

amarok88

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am just looking for some advise on what course I need in order to qualify as a domestic electrician?

This will not be my full time job, it's more of a personal qualification to enable me to carry out re-wires and install consumer units etc into domestic homes mainly being my own home and properties I have bought/ will be buying to let.

I know in the world of electrics, domestic electrics are seen as simple compared to commercial etc but that's fine with me I don't plan to make a regular income from this in anyway other than odd jobs for friends and family on top of my own work.

I want to be able to sign off work to building regs standard as I have just done a extension and loft conversion that is now requiring my consumer unit upgrading.

I personally feel (I may be wrong) that I have quite a good understanding of electric at domestic level. I understand ring circuits and lighting loops and which wires to use for what etc and have an interest in it.
I don't proclaim to be the best but I also don't feel I need a course that starts with "this is called a wire"

Anyway I am looking to do a basic course that will get me the qualification I need without costing me to many holiday days :)

Thanks again
Ash

Hi Ash - I guess you want acceptance into a CPS so you can instal, test and certify in accord with Part P? (and BS7671). There are a few threads here on that topic to search for and absorb.
I think the various courses are worthwhile, but I think some practical experience is required. Perhaps have a read of this note from IET where Appendix 4 has some of the admission routes into CPS world.
http://electrical.------.org/building-regulations/eas/eas-15-362.cfm

Hi amarok88 and welcome to the forum.
Doing domestic electrical is IMO not easy at all. I bet there are a few very experienced sparks on this forum that have had to stand back and think hard on some domestic installs as each house is different from the next. Not all electrical courses start with this is a wire, most people understand RFC and loop in lighting but there is so much more to it than that. It is a bit worrying that you talk about consumer unit changes as this is probably the most complex and sometimes the most hardest of domestic tasks. Inspection and testing of circuits is just the beginning of the task and only experience will help in understanding the faults and issues that can and will occur.As the saying goes most people are capable of passing an exam but putting it into practice is another story.
Please read up on this forum about the many 5 week wonder courses and the final outcome of them as there are some very dodgy companies only interested in taking your money. It is a long route to being able to sign off your own work and registering on a scheme to become registered competent. There is ways and I wish you good luck in this field but do research on the training providers first.

Hi Ash

I used to work for the local electricity board many years ago and at that time had one years intensive training at a residential school, also two years at college and on the job training. I have built a few houses and refurbished many and also let properties. I say all this to give you an idea of my base line knowledge and skill level two or three years ago when I started re qualifying as an electrician I now have completed Level 2 and Level 3 qualifications, 17th edition etc. I have purchased a shed load of test equipment , joined a competent persons scheme, paid for public liabilities insurance etc etc.

My point is that yes it is possible but the five week courses are generally rubbish and have the sole intention of allowing you to pass the qualifications not giving you an acceptable skill level, I thought I knew a great deal but was glad I went back to do the qualifications. Don't fool yourself, you need to complete level two to gain the requisite maths and science elements and then the level three builds on the knowledge. Also you will need to prove to any half reasonable cps scheme that you actually know what you are doing. The cost of these two qualifications will be 3k+

To do it properly will cost you a shed load of money and holiday days off or evenings at night schools andd home study. To work for friends or yourself doing notifiable work you will also need public liabilities insurance and calibrated test equipment. You will very quickly realise that you will encounter faults and issues that will have you scratching your head. In short Unless you are doing a fair bit of work it is probably cheaper you doing work under a building control notice with the local council you will never break even doing a few jobs here and there.

I am just looking for some advise on what course I need in order to qualify as a domestic electrician?

This will not be my full time job, it's more of a personal qualification to enable me to carry out re-wires and install consumer units etc into domestic homes mainly being my own home and properties I have bought/ will be buying to let.

I know in the world of electrics, domestic electrics are seen as simple compared to commercial etc but that's fine with me I don't plan to make a regular income from this in anyway other than odd jobs for friends and family on top of my own work.

I want to be able to sign off work to building regs standard as I have just done a extension and loft conversion that is now requiring my consumer unit upgrading

What you need is paper quals that satisfy one of the various competent person schemes
Since the creation of these schemes,each one has knowingly registered virtually anyone and his dog with the sole aim of generating numbers and revenue
This created a little problem justifying their criteria when MPs took an interest (for a short period) before eventually putting the subject to bed

The last year or so new entry criteria was published which seemed to restrict their irresponsible ways,however,it seems they have circumvented what was intended and entry level is as easy as ever

Its best if you go to the sites of some of these schemes and the minimum quals they accept, along with the standard "having all the books and insurance " requirements
Getting the basic quals required should be an absolute dawdle, and with your experience of electrical installation,the on site assessment level required to pass by these schemes should hold no fears for you
You may not be an electrician in the eyes of the H+S expectation of competence,but a Domestic installer none the less,able to self certify your work

Thanks Dave, since your "learning all the time" perhaps manners could be next on your list of things to learn.

Possibly, it ----es me off though that people think they can just sit a basic course and become competent in Electrical theory and practice. Yes I'm learning all the time, that's after a four year Apprenticeship and a subsequent 16 years experience. So that gives you an indication as to the depth of understanding required.

I do apologise for my flippant reply though, caught me on a bad day.

Reply to Domestic electrician course in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock