Discuss Domestic installation advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
FBA1B49B-2CB6-4EA4-A9BE-5B232A320243.jpeg Hi everyone. I’ve been asked to quote for a repossessed property that needs a consumer unit change. The incoming supply configuration is as shown in the image. As the tails come straight of the suppliers meter what is the correct way to approach changing the tails. Do I need to contact the supplier? Thanks

Depends who the energy supplier or dno is for this property. Some suppliers will do install an isolator free.or quite cheaply. Where as dnos vary quite a bit
Western power distributiom charge 75 inc vat to pull a fuse. And wait 1 hour whilst you fit an isolator yourself. Otherwise its another 75 to put fuse in. I always have isolator and new tails on wall ready to go.
SSE allow you if in a scheme to pull the fuse on single phase domestic properties. In anycase if its old and especially if a metal cutout leave well alone. Easily brake or arc. The dno wont pull a fuse out a metal cut out around here due to risks.
If its a nice new modern henley cutout then i gather the seal fairies like to visit these.

exend the tails if required.
considering their is a tele switch his it a flat a house or a barn.
It’s a rather large old house. Been vacant for 6-8 years. Was Eon supply but the tenant ran a high amount of debt before leaving. The new owners are switching supply to Bulb. Can the tele switch be removed in this instance? Maybe the correct approach is to ask the new owners if they have a dual tariff arrangement. Thank you

The new owners must have the new isolator installed before any work is carried out , considering you are qouting for the job .
i would not give to much infomation before you get the job ,if you know what i mean.

I assume the off peak loads controlled by the teleswitch are now gone, I see no connection to the switched output terminals. Might be worth changing to a normal rate supply at the same time if this is the case.

Reply to Domestic installation advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net