Discuss Domestic rewires in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I pretty much always try to price myself well out of the equation for occupieds. Then if I do unfortunately get it at least it's financially worthwhile. Piggin nightmares the couple I have done. If I had to do occupieds every week I would be looking to get a new job. Last few rewires I have done have all been in commercial properties that were getting completely refurbed, much much nicer to deal with a blank canvas. Customers don't generally appreciate rewiring like they appreciate their 3000 chrome downlights installation.

The 19 flats we've just completed was all electric heating. They was supposed to put wood in before it got boarded where the rads are. Everything was marked up on the wall and drawings....wood was missed in loads of flats, put in the wrong position, put where the spur was supposed to go, trapped cables, not bringing cables through which were clearly marked, celotex in ceilings with no consideration for down lights after being repeatedly told, leaving mess everywhere...the list goes on. Tbh they turned a job that could of been good in to hell lol.

This sort of thing has happened to me before too Lee, you wonder how people can be so moronic really - but generally trades helping each other and showing consideration seems to be a thing of the past sadly.

This sort of thing has happened to me before too Lee, you wonder how people can be so moronic really - but generally trades helping each other and showing consideration seems to be a thing of the past sadly.

Yeah so true, I find you normally get the "I'm on price"....Helps if there's a
half decent site foreman but on this particular site the foreman had no back bone and wouldn't say anything which didn't help. The next phase is 28 flats starting in a few months. They defiantly wont be getting away with it this time as some serious counter charging will be going on lol.

Last edited:
Yeah so true, I find you normally get the "I'm on price"....Helps if there's a
half decent site foreman but on this particular site the foreman had no back bone and wouldn't say anything which didn't help. The next phase is 28 flats starting in a few months. They defiantly wont be getting away with it this time as some serious counter charging will be going on lol.
Take a few bags of dead finish in with you and blend it in with their's.

Hopefully (crossed fingers) I'm buying another house later this year. It needs a full renovation so i'm pulling down every ceiling, every bit of plaster from the walls and turning it into a shell. I've roped in a few mates to help me rebuild what will become mine and Mrs M's home for the rest of our lives. Think 8 of us can do a 1st fix in a day lol. ex-Admin Phil, Mod GMES + his two lads, some crazy ginger bloke called Glennsparks (no idea who he is lol), + 2-3 others that are not members. It will look like an episode of DIY SOS big build :rofl:

GMES you will see how quick a first fix can be done on a medium sized 3 bed semi (including all the outside lights & power to two sheds) when the house is prepped. Us lot will smash it out in a day...... Glennsparks is not having a go on the mini JCB, thats my toy for a coupe of days, but you can have a go :wink:

Perhaps if your brave enough you could start a new thread, 'this is my new home' build, with pics for nosey people like me? :)

I will do but first we need to buy it! Going through the process of mortgage providers (for this and another 2 existing houses), valuations and solicitors. No chain involved and we are buying it directly from the executor of the estate (owner is a family friend that we looked after for years who sadly passed away 3 weeks ago). Great house but it is stuck in time from the 60's.

When this happens (cross fingers) I will post up a thread and a few photos of GMES, Glennsparks etc doing a house rewire in day.

don't let Glenn loose with aa JCB!. he'll be doing wheelies round the garden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1J2zxMABL0

He cant even drive a van without crashing it, no chance I'm letting him near my house with a mini JCB pmsl.

Dont tell the hire company but I'm planning on plowing though the old garage and putting it up on YouTube lol.

Last edited:
I know their the most problematic trade out there, so stupid they cant look before screwing the board to the wall to avoid cable damage. Or loading in before a first fix, the plumber just empties his pressure tester over them and boots the corners off whilst i scream in laughter. Their all foreign and have zero common sense, and have cost me serious time on a Friday at 2pm whilst powering up. Now i just make obscene holes in the walls to teach them a lesson. bye bye pad saw hello estwing

I've never had anything but nightmares with the dreaded dry liners who seem to have the run of every commercial site. The management are terrified of them. Schedules go out of the window, they board everything in sight regardless of any sign off arrangement and whether or not any circuits are installed! It's not their fault per-se but a management fault in flooding jobs with labour-on -price when the job can't handle it. Couple that with the fact that the (dry-lining) trade is made up of meat-heads with a battery drill and a pad saw who are used to earning absurd amounts of money (and full of roids) and the situation soon turns ugly!

I've never had anything but nightmares with the dreaded dry liners who seem to have the run of every commercial site. The management are terrified of them. Schedules go out of the window, they board everything in sight regardless of any sign off arrangement and whether or not any circuits are installed! It's not their fault per-se but a management fault in flooding jobs with labour-on -price when the job can't handle it. Couple that with the fact that the (dry-lining) trade is made up of meat-heads with a battery drill and a pad saw who are used to earning absurd amounts of money (and full of roids) and the situation soon turns ugly!

Made me chuckle reading that...so true lol

I will do but first we need to buy it! Going through the process of mortgage providers (for this and another 2 existing houses), valuations and solicitors. No chain involved and we are buying it directly from the executor of the estate (owner is a family friend that we looked after for years who sadly passed away 3 weeks ago). Great house but it is stuck in time from the 60's.

When this happens (cross fingers) I will post up a thread and a few photos of GMES, Glennsparks etc doing a house rewire in day.
Perhaps keep it in the Electrician Arms, you never can tell who's looking over your shoulder.

60's was a good time, that's when England won the world cup!

Last edited:
I am in the middle of a rewire at the moment I work on my own and I tend to start from the bottom and work up a circuit at a time the house I am doing now is lath and plaster so very little chasing but it's an 11 bedroom old house with kitchen smoking room dinning room 2 longes library and it also has its own chapel and sheds attached so loads of floor lifting and about 12 weeks work

I am in the middle of a rewire at the moment I work on my own and I tend to start from the bottom and work up a circuit at a time the house I am doing now is lath and plaster so very little chasing but it's an 11 bedroom old house with kitchen smoking room dinning room 2 longes library and it also has its own chapel and sheds attached so loads of floor lifting and about 12 weeks work

Bloody hell how many families live there?

At the moment it's empty the new owners move in in summer a mum dad and their 5 year old daughter and now I hear they are bringing her parents but rather them than me the house is in a hell of a state plaster falling off walls slates missing cost them about 250K to buy be nearer 1m to put everything right but need the plumbing and electrics done so they can get moved in and to reduce the dampness through out the whole building walls are a meter thick and took 5 hours to drill 1 100mm hole through it these are the pleasures of rewire lol

At the moment it's empty the new owners move in in summer a mum dad and their 5 year old daughter and now I hear they are bringing her parents but rather them than me the house is in a hell of a state plaster falling off walls slates missing cost them about 250K to buy be nearer 1m to put everything right but need the plumbing and electrics done so they can get moved in and to reduce the dampness through out the whole building walls are a meter thick and took 5 hours to drill 1 100mm hole through it these are the pleasures of rewire lol

buy an engineering core bit, i got 105mm masacrist engineering brick core drill. Works a treat and has lasted ages, you need a decent drill to run it though and the secret ways of listening to core drill not looking.

buy an engineering core bit, i got 105mm masacrist engineering brick core drill. Works a treat and has lasted ages, you need a decent drill to run it though and the secret ways of listening to core drill not looking.

thanks but thats what i already use but with it being 1m thick walls with solid blue stone with a loose rubble centre its just a time taking experience drilling a little then clearing the hole and drilling a bit more each time its not the first hole i have cored in my 30 odd years but when restricted under the floor and getting older it does seem to take longer than i remember and its not often the walls have been this thick and solid lol gh4.jpg gh3.jpggh2.jpg

I've not long brought a property that needs a rewire and already looks a nightmare.

-Existing sockets random heights
-Solid floor downstairs so lots of chasing
-No route from CU to ceiling so got to go up to loft first then back down
-Existing holes in joists don't meet latest regs.

That's just some of it lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Domestic rewires in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net