Discuss Down lights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

revolt3k

Whats the requirements for downlights in regads to fire-hoods. is there a page in regs about them?

If they are 3W LED GU-10's do you need to have fire rated fittings or hoods?

I know that noramally mains voltage need to be fire fittings now or have hoods but i was wondering about these new LED lamps. Also do 12V fittings require them.

hi mate its not the type of fitting or lamp that matters if you cut a hole in a ceiling you need something to stop the spread of fire, ie fitting or hood, i use flame guard fittings as hoods tend to fall over.

hi mate its not the type of fitting or lamp that matters if you cut a hole in a ceiling you need something to stop the spread of fire, ie fitting or hood, i use flame guard fittings as hoods tend to fall over.

I see, Thanks Mark

so basically all fittings need to be fire rated now.

what is the required fire rating of the ceiling in question?
any fitting you put in a ceiling that needs to be fire rated must be of the correct type regardless of the lamp used ( its not fire from your lights you see, its fire spreading through a building through the holes you have just created)
so if no rating required then no hoods required

lister can you tell me who would specify about the fire rating of a ceiling is there a doc for this thanks mark

domestic or commercial?

i dont think that there is one doc that covers this subject as its to vast, all depends on type of building, its intended use and what its made of, usually archetect or building inspector (if there involved) will spec or advise, if commercial fire officer/owner usualy.

What about a faulse ceiling below another ceiling above it?

Maybe a bathroom thats had a ceiling lowered, so there is 2 ceilings in all one being where the lights are installed and another 12" above that has noting installed.

Its, belt and braces lads and lasses, we always use fire hoods regardless of extra cost, you cannot be to safe these days.

Indeed, as the cost of these types of fittings are fairly reasonable now so there is no point in not.

With regards to a ceiling above a ceiling then i dont see any reason too, especially if its on the top floor.

Generally, fire rated fittings are required between floors of a dwelling, and not on the top level with loft above.

Indeed, as the cost of these types of fittings are fairly reasonable now so there is no point in not.

With regards to a ceiling above a ceiling then i dont see any reason too, especially if its on the top floor.

Generally, fire rated fittings are required between floors of a dwelling, and not on the top level with loft above.

SPOT ON

personally i try to avoid fire hoods and either not bother or if required use a rated fitting, hoods seem to over heat the lamps especially 50w gu10's and they seem to blow much quicker.

Reply to Down lights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock