Discuss downlights intallation help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DIY Bob as you put it must get fed up of visiting for advice and getting abuse from some forum members that think wiring downlighters is some sort of secret work that can only be achieved by studying for 5 years. IMO

I understand your point, and sympathise with the keen and/or experienced DIYer.

However, as has already been mentioned this work requires RCD protection testing and notification according to the current building regs. So bunging in some T&E cutting holes in the celing shoving in the downlights and nipping up the terminals doesn't really cover it. So when a person comes to this forum anyone answering his "have I missed anything/have I got this right" type questions we are all duty bound to point out these issues.

Professional electricians not only have to jump through the hoops and hand over the cash, but on the forum or face to face owe a duty of care to anyone seeking professional advice. The answers may not be welcome, but they should be both accurate and complete IMHO.

Could do with a DIY help desk so any forum members who signed up to give up there time and proffesional opinion for free can go and help joe public, and everyone who can't be bothered can stay this side of the fence. Ps I'll be staying this side......

I understand your point, and sympathise with the keen and/or experienced DIYer. Nice to Know

However, as has already been mentioned this work requires RCD protection testing and notification according to the current building regs. So bunging in some T&E cutting holes in the celing shoving in the downlights and nipping up the terminals doesn't really cover it. So when a person comes to this forum anyone answering his "have I missed anything/have I got this right" type questions we are all duty bound to point out these issues.

Professional electricians not only have to jump through the hoops and hand over the cash, but on the forum or face to face owe a duty of care to anyone seeking professional advice. The answers may not be welcome, but they should be both accurate and complete IMHO.
Which in my opinion and its only my opinion and i know i live and work abroad is crap people have been putting lights in for years and its worked just fine. RCD protection is standard here so i cant comment. Over regulated bloody britain....full of jobs worth's

There's alway going to be people that are prepared to help others and those that dont.
Could do with a DIY help desk so any forum members who signed up to give up there time and proffesional opinion for free can go and help joe public, and everyone who can't be bothered can stay this side of the fence. Ps I'll be staying this side......

I'll help anyone but to be honest when I look on here it's more for chat, and to pick the brains of other sparks not to walk people through DIY tasks.

Which in my opinion and its only my opinion and i know i live and work abroad is crap people have been putting lights in for years and its worked just fine. RCD protection is standard here so i cant comment. Over regulated bloody britain....full of jobs worth's

There are plenty of rules and regulations which many people don't agree with, but once you choose to ignore one or a few where does it stop? I certainly don't agree with everything in the regs, some parts are ridiculously over the top, some don't go far enough. The point is though that if the OP goes ahead and something goes wrong there's a very real chance that the "where there's blame there's a claim" mentality will take over.

"Well I was given advice by an electrician that this was all I needed to do. Look, here's a print out of what I was told." = The person giving the advice is screwed.

If you take the alternative scenario.

"Yes, I was told it should be done by a professional, but I ignored the advice." = The person ingoring the advice is screwed.

I understand your point, and sympathise with the keen and/or experienced DIYer.

Thats what i wanted to know, is there a lot more than i thought that is required or am i close? i can take getting information that i might not like but constructive criticism is better than attitude. At the end of the day i respect that electricity is very dangerous but all i'm doing is wiring up lights, not a whole house or new circuit board. Anyway Thanks for all those who have have replied and anymore info that you feel is important pls tell.

There are plenty of rules and regulations which many people don't agree with, but once you choose to ignore one or a few where does it stop? I certainly don't agree with everything in the regs, some parts are ridiculously over the top, some don't go far enough. The point is though that if the OP goes ahead and something goes wrong there's a very real chance that the "where there's blame there's a claim" mentality will take over.

"Well I was given advice by an electrician that this was all I needed to do. Look, here's a print out of what I was told." = The person giving the advice is screwed.

If you take the alternative scenario.

"Yes, I was told it should be done by a professional, but I ignored the advice." = The person ingoring the advice is screwed.

Your 100% right, and thats why i wanted to know how hard it is? could i do 80% of the work or leave it?
Everyones point is valid but remember everything i am going to do will be check thats 100% i justed wanted to get a head start to save on cost,

i've just read through this post, and can see everyone's points - some well made, some not!

if someone asked me to help them install some downlights, but explained that, for their own reasons, they wanted to do as much as poss, i'd be happy to advise on positioning, type of fitting and lamp etc, and either let them help me do the job, or return when holes are cut, and they've bought the fittings etc.

i would insist on doing everything electrical - pre assessment, bonding, wiring, connections, testing etc.

i'd then issue relevant paperwork.

dget someone to do all that and you're sorted!

Reply to downlights intallation help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock