Discuss Drilled into a light cable. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

the only way is to isolate the circuit and see if you can get at the cable with out damage to any thing else, and post a pic of the cable to see what kind of damage you have done.
the only way is to isolate the circuit and see if you can get at the cable with out damage to any thing else, and post a pic of the cable to see what kind of damage you have done.

I can only see the damage through the holes I have drilled. ( didn’t mention that I was putting up 2 shelves and it’s hit the cable twice
Top and bottom shelf one has caught the edge and the other has gone through the middle

What room is it in? If it is below somewhere accessible such as a loft or a floorboard that can be lifted and the cable is installed in oval tubing or channelling it may be possible to renew the cable without digging out the wall.
Damn, too slow again!

Chasing may not be necessary, if the cable is free to move an electrician may be able to pull a replacement cable in without damaging the wall.

Moving furniture out of the way so that the floor above can be lifted would probably be a great help to the electrician

That’s a great answer. Typically only problem for me Is I had done it on a signal story extension wall ?

Attachments

• B249363B-D316-4104-A683-CED416056C2A.jpeg
    9.3 KB · Views: 121
That’s a great answer. Typically only problem for me Is I had done it on a signal story extension wall ?
Post #6 now.
Next time use something like this.

I do own something like that and did use it but it said the area was clear. I think I clearly need to invest in a better one
[automerge]1587312884[/automerge]
Post #6 now.

here’s the inside and outside view of the wall
Just noticed the plug for the dishwasher is inline with the holes vertically

Attachments

• 1856FD20-05BC-45DE-BDFE-B2EB3B00CE1D.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 92
Looking at the photos, there is an upstairs room?
Still might be possible to lift a board, and pull cable out.
Unless you’ve drilled right through and severed the cable. Then you’ll have a bit stuck in there, so digging out is only option.

did it go bang?

Looking at the photos, there is an upstairs room?

At first I thought the outside photo is of two storeys, but looking again, I can see guttering half way up the wall, so the extension must be single storey with a flat roof.

Just possibly a (re-fillable) hole in the ceiling will give access to the cable(s) and they'd be loose e.g. under capping or in oval conduit, or even loose under dot/dab plasterboard. Or the cable(s) could be firmly encased in a bonding coat of plaster, having been clipped to the wall.

Would help to know the wall construction and cable installation method before making any holes anywhere.

I have stupidly managed to drill into a light switch cable. I’m trying to keep cost down as much as I can. Would chasing them wall out ready help?
Buy one of these. Excellent tool. Enables you to trace the wires and metal pipes in the wall. I never drill a hole without it. Can save a lot of grief and shredded nerves. Especially when you're on someone else's property.

Reply to Drilled into a light cable. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net