Discuss Drilled through electric conduit/cable in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

As Churchill says OHHHHHHHHH YESSSSSSSS. . An accessable removeable panel but this can be under you carpets. Good idea to mark the 'cover' saying whats under it. The hole will have to be big enough to allow access to the connector with a tool.

Another thing. dont stand the bed on the cover ...... you might end up sleeping on top of your telly!

Now of course this starts up a seperate discussion

What is accessible?

Is having to remove a floorboard hatch 'accessible'?

Is having to remove carpet to remove a floorboard hatch 'accessible' ?

Is having to move furniture to remove a carpet to remove a floorboard hatch 'accessible'?

At what point on a PIR would you say, well that is not 'reasonably accessible' and code it?

I mean, ANYTHING could be considered accessible if you have a big enough hammer:eek::p

And of course a further discussion

Junction Boxes

These are claimed to be maintenance free, but are not made with soldering compression tool etc - do they comply:rolleyes:

Or does it come under 120.4 - New materials and inventions:rolleyes:

discuss please!:p:D

According to the Hager website they do comply....Don't they market ashley JB's?????

correctumundo

Hager market them

And I know they say they comply because...... well.....they would, wouldnt they!:p

And I hope they do, 'cause i want to use them for a lighting circuit on Saturday!

To be sure I am 'covered' , I will quote them under Reg 120.4 on the Minor Works Cert.......:D

You can still get those from screwfix but there is a newer one out now Carter. Works a bit better and you can buy the blanks off the shelf.

http://http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p...s/Hole-Cutters/Armeg-Solid-Board-Cutter-127mm

I am getting old and slow now

Aha, yes that's a variation on the theme, like a big Starret, hmmm £75? If I had to rewire a house where this was the flooring I'd think about getting one. The one I saw was a router attachment for about the same buntz.

How about this as a definition of accessable!

If you can get to something without the use of a tool its accessable.

My thinking behind this is as follows:
Take a front door of a house, if it is unlocked the interior of the house is accessable; however, if the door is locked then to gain access to the interior you will need a tool eg. a key or if your from certain areas a sledge hammer will do!:D

Didn't anyone ask if this guy was an electrician before offering him advice?

Naughty people!

Anyway, sure there is one or two on here that cover the Kent area.

Good luck, hope your missus doesn't beat the shi* out of you too badly.

Two bits of kit that you could use for this. 1 Made by ARMEG a hole cutter that also cuts a recess around the access hole Comes with polyprop plugs that fit neatly and flush into the hole or if the hole has to be neat and not circular I use a Bosch (greeen not available in blue) thingy. Designed as a Delta sander it also comes with blade attachments that vibrate very quickly but not very far. about £60 from B&Q dead handy for cutting T&G floor boards with no over cut that you get with Skilsaw

Well done Bane, I've just logged on and started reading this thread. Surely this work cannot be classed as a "like for like replacement" as changing accessories would be and is therefore notifiable in theory.

It is a job for someone who can competantly test the circuit after replacing the damaged cable, not for DIY.

I would also wonder about the advice given "over the telephone" by the electrician concerned. If the property had a "standard" cu, not split load, then there would be no rcd protection and the possibility of a substancial earth fault being present.

Open to comments please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you start ripping into the chipboard with ANYTHING, check if there are any radiators or other water using devices near by (upstairs and down).

A lot of pipes are bloody close to the underside of the chipboard, and if you chop through pipes, it makes A LOT of mess, is a bas**rd to put right, and the wife would, in no particular order, hang, draw, and quarter you.

And divorce you.

And take the dog:eek:

Well done Bane, I've just logged on and started reading this thread. Surely this work cannot be classed as a "like for like replacement" as changing accessories would be and is therefore notifiable in theory.

It is a job for someone who can competantly test the circuit after replacing the damaged cable, not for DIY.

I would also wonder about the advice given "over the telephone" by the electrician concerned. If the property had a "standard" cu, not split load, then there would be no rcd protection and the possibility of a substancial earth fault being present.

Open to comments please.

Tony, whilst i agree that this guy should probably not be doing it (I was actually more interested in discussing what is 'accessible and the new maintenance free JB's:eek:), surely this would come under

A. Emergency repair (which he doesnt have to pre-notify at least)

and probably

B. Changing the cable for a single circuit only where the same size cable and route is used (which is non-notifiable)

But yes, it should still be tested and a should preferably be carried out by a sparks (thats me out of the running then!:eek::p)

Hi ShaKey,

Hope I did not appear to be having a go at anyone.

Being Accessible is another one of those open to interpretation regulations which seem to beexcessive in our industry.

I thank you for the non notifiable definitions, just a daft thought springs to mind: if you replaced every cable one at a time and using the same cable routes does this mean that you could rewire your house without it being notifiable? ;)

In many ways I think the thing that gave me the most concern was the "advice" given over the phone by the electrician.

As for you not being able to carry out the testing - well you only need to be competant!!!:D

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for the replies all, im certainly no electrician so wouldnt be able to test anything afterwards, in fact, I am the Homer Simpson of DIY.

Ive got a sparky coming today, so hopefully get this sorted, or at elast get a ballpark cost and details of what they'll need to do.

Ill keep you updated on progress.

Hi ShaKey,

Hope I did not appear to be having a go at anyone.

Being Accessible is another one of those open to interpretation regulations which seem to beexcessive in our industry.

I thank you for the non notifiable definitions, just a daft thought springs to mind: if you replaced every cable one at a time and using the same cable routes does this mean that you could rewire your house without it being notifiable? ;)

In many ways I think the thing that gave me the most concern was the "advice" given over the phone by the electrician.

As for you not being able to carry out the testing - well you only need to be competant!!!:D

Cheers

Tony

ha ha Tony, no of course you werent having a go:)

You would not believe how many students i have taught with the 'replace a single cable' rule that say, "so i could do lots of them and rewire the house"

and thats why the Approved Document says "for a single circuit only"

although it doesnt give a time scale between changing this cable, and then that cable.............:p:rolleyes:

ok this might not be the correct thing to say but to avoid to much destruction, if its a ring, disconnecting and removing the offending leg (from BOTH sockets), cut it back, tape up and poke out of the way, (label it) and then split the ring and create 2 radials?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Drilled through electric conduit/cable in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net