Discuss Dual board with no earth on final circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys. Need to change the fuseboard at my parents house but none of their final circuits have a cpc run to them. Obviously have an earth on the main incoming so I can get a 16mm earthing conductor up to my new 18th edition metallic consumer unit but they don’t want a rewire so none of the final circuits will be protected with an earth.

My question is will this be an issue in the functionality of the rcds? Obviously the rcd functions on an imbalance between live and neutral so as far as I’m concerned it shouldn’t be too much of an issue hopefully, just wanted to get some of your opinions on the matter.

Another issue I can see is how I’m supposed to test for disconnection times without an
earth?

Opinions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

are you sure of the no cpc? maybe on lighting, but all other circuits should have. what's the approx. age of the installation? are the circuits in metal conduit providing the cpc's? need more info. inc. pics.

and you can't possibly go ahead with a CU install without confirming presence of CPC's

None of the circuits incorporate a cpc?

Appreciate the speedy replies. I’ve not done any in depth research as yet, I just had a quick check of a 2 light switches while I was round there this evening having dinner. I will have to have a more in depth look now. Just thought I’d get some opinions on it before I did. I didn’t look for metal conduit in the back box but that makes perfect sense actually.

Appreciate the speedy replies. I’ve not done any in depth research as yet, I just had a quick check of a 2 light switches while I was round there this evening having dinner. I will have to have a more in depth look now. Just thought I’d get some opinions on it before I did. I didn’t look for metal conduit in the back box but that makes perfect sense actually.

Just because the lighting circuits (or maybe just the switch drops) don't incorporate a cpc you would assume all circuits don't have one??

One thing I did notice is there were 3 supply cables coming in but why would this be in a 3 bedroom house? A little over the top don’t you think?

One thing I did notice is there were 3 supply cables coming in but why would this be in a 3 bedroom house? A little over the top don’t you think?
get us some pictures. we love pictures. helps those of us that can't read grown-up writing. :p.

when was the house built ( approx. ).i'll guess 60's

If this is hoe you look into changing a cu, then my advice would be dont!!

It could be that the lighting circuits certainly don't have a cpc. It was not a requirement before 1966. This leaves you with the wiring being 53 years young and the problem of no cpcs in the lighting circuit. A rewire would/could be advisable.

If this is hoe you look into changing a cu, then my advice would be dont!!
Thanks for the advice big spark but I wasn’t looking into changing a fuseboard I was round my parents house for dinner and my dad threw it on me while I was there. I decided I’d have a VERY QUICK look while I was there and do some more digging when I have the time.

It could be that the lighting circuits certainly don't have a cpc. It was not a requirement before 1966. This leaves you with the wiring being 53 years young and the problem of no cpcs in the lighting circuit. A rewire would/could be advisable.

I’ve been telling them this for over 10 years to no avail. They don’t want the mess which is understandable. They are both in their 60s so I can’t see them ever having it done.

Reply to Dual board with no earth on final circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock