Discuss Dual board with no earth on final circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

was normal for lighting circuits to not have cpc in 60's builds. if that's the case, it's OK to leave as is, but advise that only plastic fittings and switches should be used. if you take a light switch off, you'll probably see that the lugs for the faceplate screws are nylon, thus insulating the 3.5mm screws from the backbox.

I’ve been telling them this for over 10 years to no avail. They don’t want the mess which is understandable. They are both in their 60s so I can’t see them ever having it done.
if the wiring is in good condition, then there's no need for a rewire. maybe advise them to rewire the lightsalone, but as long as youensure insulated switches andlignts, no problem.

and the breers are taking toll.oopss maent beers.ach, gotit rigtht

was normal for lighting circuits to not have cpc in 60's builds. if that's the case, it's OK to leave as is, but advise that only plastic fittings and switches should be used. if you take a light switch off, you'll probably see that the lugs for the faceplate screws are nylon, thus insulating the 3.5mm screws from the backbox.
:D:D I told my father this before he went ahead and put all new metal switches on the whole of downstairs because they “look nicer”. Head + brick wall!

if the wiring is in good condition, then there's no need for a rewire. maybe advise them to rewire the lightsalone, but as long as youensure insulated switches andlignts, no problem.

So In terms of the functionality of the rcds, you can’t see this being an issue? I would assume that if any exposed/extraneous conductive parts do become live and someone touches them and creates a fault path, that the rcd will pick up on this imbalance regardless?

:D:D I told my father this before he went ahead and put all new metal switches on the whole of downstairs because they “look nicer”. Head + brick wall!
as they say. you can't educate pork.

Up stairs lighting maybe wouldn’t be too much of an issue but downstairs means floorboards up and they won’t have it

So In terms of the functionality of the rcds, you can’t see this being an issue? I would assume that if any exposed/extraneous conductive parts do become live and someone touches them and creates a fault path, that the rcd will pick up on this imbalance regardless?
yep. RCDs don't need earths/cpc's . the human body provides the earth path to provide the imbalance.

just check the other circuits. bet you they all have cpc's. then if they insist on metal switches, check that their wills are in order.

Yes if someone touches the parts and receives an electric shock the RCD will operate once the shock has become severe enough. And if that person is in good health they will find the experience painful but likely survive, if they are not in good health or they have a weak heart they may well not survive the experience.

Yes they are still like it :D stubborn as an old goat is my dad. What can I say
Be stubborn back then. Tell him no board swap unless cpc added or at the very least all metal accessories changed to plastic.
Show him the electrical safety first guide to help persuade that a real danger presently exists and that the correct course of action should be followed.

Lovely stuff! So as long as I make a note of it on the doc and the **** pile of other stuff I’m sure to find, my --- is covered?
you go to work on an ---? i thought even essex had horses these days.

just check the other circuits. bet you they all have cpc's. then if they insist on metal switches, check that their wills are in order.
:D:D:D If I end up changing the board I will remove all the metal switches and replace with Plastic while he’s not looking. Like I say though, for arguments sake, the rcd will still protect against this? Only problem being I can’t really test the theory out without an earth?

No wonder you call yourself sparksaflyin.........change the metal lighting fittings back to plastic until you replace the CU....Then leave them on

Reply to Dual board with no earth on final circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net