Discuss Dual switch to porch light switch seperation help please in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
stair porch light.png stair porch light.png
Porch & Stairs separation?

So I got a dual light switch at the bottom of the stairs & a single light switch at the top of the stairs.
Another switch in the porch, which is somehow connected to the stairs switch.
bit confused on how to undo & redo this.

The porch light sometimes cant be switched on due to 1 of the switches (either bottom or top being switched off, I'm uncertain as yet)
So the tenant cannot put on the porch light on entering the porch to do porch things , shoes off clean etc, without opening main house door & switching on the stair light.
if the porch light is at the on position but the stair light is not on, on entering the house they don't know it is in the on position & then continue throughout the evening to be flashing the porch light on & off whenever anyone walks up or down the stairs. Also the worst part is if in the porch or using porch light to work on something if someone walks up the stairs they can then switch porch light off with the person in porch/outside main body of house needing this on. This can be potentially dangerous if using tools on fixing bike etc.
Also the porch light is essentially a security light to see who is at porch door, which the older members of family in particular wish to switch on from inside house without opening the door of the main body of the house, therefore peering out window with a fully light person at the porch door.

On top of that there is only 1 light on stairs at top & this makes the bottom of the stairs incredibly dark & at times dangerous. It is hoped a light that IS joined to the stair light at top can be added BUT NOT attached in any way to the porch light. Is this & any of the situations mentioned fixable & possible to to change?? please help, got me baffled.
Excuse the child pic best I could do on PC. haha

first find out why it is wired wrong in he first place and sort that.

Is that a bicycle or a drum kit sitting there?

It appears that the porch switch is being fed off one of the 2 way strapper wires and only works when both switches are in a certain configuration.
The porch switch needs a permanent supply which may or may not be present at the bottom switch to simply swap over.

You will need to find out what cables are there, and what can be done to rectify

It’s impossible to advise from afar.

View attachment 47007 View attachment 47007
The porch light sometimes cant be switched on due to 1 of the switches (either bottom or top being switched off, I'm uncertain as yet)
So the tenant cannot put on the porch light on entering the porch to do porch things , shoes off clean etc, without opening main house door & switching on the stair light.
if the porch light is at the on position but the stair light is not on, on entering the house they don't know it is in the on position & then continue throughout the evening to be flashing the porch light on & off whenever anyone walks up or down the stairs. Also the worst part is if in the porch or using porch light to work on something if someone walks up the stairs they can then switch porch light off with the person in porch/outside main body of house needing this on. This can be potentially dangerous if using tools on fixing bike etc.
Also the porch light is essentially a security light to see who is at porch door, which the older members of family in particular wish to switch on from inside house without opening the door of the main body of the house, therefore peering out window with a fully light person at the porch door.

If your the Landlord? Don't you think you owe your tenant some respect and call in a competent electrician, and have this irregularity rectified, before someone does fall on the stairs. No offence intended OP.

Update:
the porch/outer light now can be turned on and off without any interference from the inner stair lights on the dual switch
BUT
can it be able to be switched on from the inner house dual switch?
...or will it require to be in the ON position in the porch for this? (therefore defeating the point of being able to switch on & off without going into house to click the inner dual switch on stairway wall)

Reply to Dual switch to porch light switch seperation help please in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net