Discuss EAL 4337/38 or C+G 2394/95 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I've got my JIB gold installation electrician card. After obtaining my 2357 NVQ, 2382-15 and my part p course.
I want to go one better and get my approved electrician card.
According to JIB they accept both EAL 4337/4338 and C+G 2394/2395.
They are roughly the same price to do but the EAL course has a much better pass rate..! I'm in a bit of a dilemma and don't know which one to go on..! Also as the pass rates for 2394/2395 is quite low, I don't want to be wasting £1000 on a course and end up failing it..! Can you pay to resit exams with C+G if you fail and do you re take the exam on the day after or..?
Kind Regards,
TOM ASHCROFT

C&G are definitely better known and those who work in the electrical industry will have heard of the 2394/5 as the replacement for the 2391. I suspect the same could not be said for the EAL equivalents (I won't use inverted commas :wink: ) which are known by education providers but not so well known by those at the coal face.

Like everyone has said the C&G is the recognised qualification that most will be aware of ! I guess because it is a closed book exam and therefore you need to know your stuff in terms of the REG'S and GN3 and able to test and fault find.
Safety is also a big one in both the practical and written exams.

As regards to re-sits yes you can pay to just retake the exams, BUT there is quite a time period in between before you can do so I believe, hence keeping all that knowledge at the forefront may lapsed a little before the resit if you don't continue with the reading.

I hold the EAL qualification and I have never wired a house in my life :)C&G requires a very good knowledge and you need to be confident!
This is why employers value it so much.
Cheers
B

Eodneil I was aware that they could do that for the multi-choice part of the exam but not for the written papers !
This must be a fairly recent change ?

It's changed with C&G now, training providers have the option to organise the written exam online to when it suits them and they do not have to wait for dates and times set by C&G. Its still called the written exam but is now done on a computer :).

yes, ill definitely pass its if computer based then i can happily type at 60wpm

most employers are not upto date with most qualifications so just ask if you are qualifed as a jib electrician and if you have testing and inspection.

(im not concerned so much about the practical its the written that i will find a lot harder)

Last edited:
I'm booked on for the course in April. Any recommendations for the best revision for this written exam? Past papers?

Guidance note 3 is pretty much your bible but the exam success book is well worth a read. Its full of usefull hints and tips on the best ways to write replys, key words to look out for, etc. The exam success book also has a practise exam in the back. Chief examiners reports of previous runs are also worth while reading as will give you a clue as to where others went wrong...Things like earth fault path diagrams are easy points if you practise the different diagrams. Terminology is key so make sure you have this sorted.

Guidance note 3 is pretty much your bible but the exam success book is well worth a read. Its full of usefull hints and tips on the best ways to write replys, key words to look out for, etc. The exam success book also has a practise exam in the back. Chief examiners reports of previous runs are also worth while reading as will give you a clue as to where others went wrong...Things like earth fault path diagrams are easy points if you practise the different diagrams. Terminology is key so make sure you have this sorted.
ive got the new one on preorder

I've got a copy of the exam success book if anyone would like to pay for the postage on it they are welcome to it !
I should add though that I am in the process of moving house so may take a bit of finding

On a different note, Does anyone else have problems replying to topics ? I start typing then it all starts going bit haywire and I end up attempting to redo everything I had just typed.!

I passed my 2391 around 10yrs ago the written exam was closed book so a good understanding of the current regs is a must! A lot of it is down to how you word your answers C&G code!!! As for the EAL one I've never seen anyone with it! I ran a gang of testers on a contract 2yrs ago they all had C&G it is a hard exam I'm not gonna lie it used to be the holy grail but a lot do seem to have it now as its a must with local authority's having there ECIR reports every 5-10yrs it's open up a new demand for the qualification once it's on your jib card its opens more doors!!! Good luck

ive got the new one on preorder

That exam pass book (the one with the green tick) is worth its weight in gold, purely for the fact that it teaches you exactly how C&G want the questions answered. It's pretty much a must have if you want to pass it, there is no way on earth that I would have answered the questions the right way of I hadn't of bought that book.

That exam pass book (the one with the green tick) is worth its weight in gold, purely for the fact that it teaches you exactly how C&G want the questions answered. It's pretty much a must have if you want to pass it, there is no way on earth that I would have answered the questions the right way of I hadn't of bought that book.
is the electrical inspection book by Michael drury worth it?

anyone had his books before?

Reply to EAL 4337/38 or C+G 2394/95 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock