Discuss Earth fault loop impedance - textbook values vs BS7671 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello.
I'm in the final stages of completing my electrician course, and I find myself confused (again) by EFLI.

In the textbook provided is this:

Uo 230V
see below for each circuit.

Calculate the maximum Zs for each circuit:
Complete the table.

The answers given in the textbook are said to be correct.

However, according to BS7671, the values in the textbook exceed the maximum allowed Zs.

Eg: For the outbuilding circuit, BS7671 states type B 20A has max Zs of 2.19 ohms, yet the book says the correct answer is 2.30 ohms?

Am I missing something here?
Please can anyone help with this?
Thanks,
Gary

IMG_6256.jpg

IMG_6250.jpg

IMG_6237.jpg

IMG_6235.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, issue sorted.
According to the tutors, the answers in textbook are prior to amendment 3 and even though the version textbook was printed”after” amendment 3, somehow it didn’t get updated too.

So after applying Cmin factor 0.95, it brought the answers down to where they should be!

even before amd 3 and Cmin. ( which is to allow for supply volts down to 218V ), correction factor for cable temperature was to allow for temp. to be 70 deg.C, i.e . a factor of 0.8. applied to the BS7671 tabulated figures.

Reply to Earth fault loop impedance - textbook values vs BS7671 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

So I’m doing my level 3 design project at the moment, and I’m on the question where you do all the calculations on each circuit, I’ve taken the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I'm new to Amtech/Trimble and I've been asked to review a model. I'm looking at circuits that are SWA cables using the armour and an...
Replies
Views
Hi all , The measured value of loop impedance for a circuit is 2.4Ω. If the temperature at the time of the test was 20°C and the cable is 70°C...
Replies
Views
Can someone explain this to me? The regs book calls Zs 'Earth Fault Loop Impedence' and the On-Site Guide calls Ze 'Earth Fault Loop Impedence'.
Replies
Views
Hi Guy's, I'm revising for my 18th amd 2 and came across a question that has me a little confused. I think its probably the question is badly...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock