Discuss Earth Rods - pointy one in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I need to buy a 5/8 earth rod. Picked one up from my local wholesaler, but it’s threaded both ends. It appears my wholesaler only stocks the 5/8 in an extendable version. I’ve seen online ones with a pointed end, are they readily available, i.e. pointed one end thread the other?

Screwfix only stock extendable it seems as well.

Never seen one thats pointed at one end and screwed at the other. Normaly the ones that are threaded at both ends have a bit of a point.
I prefer the threaded ones as you can fit a driving stud at the upper end which gives you a bigger target for the hammer.

Never seen one thats pointed at one end and screwed at the other. Normaly the ones that are threaded at both ends have a bit of a point.
I prefer the threaded ones as you can fit a driving stud at the upper end which gives you a bigger target for the hammer.
I have 6x 3/8" x 1mtr you can have FOC as long as you can collect from Northampton, pm me if you are interested and I send you directions, and clean the cobwebs off.

Thanks Pete I wanna use a 5/8 rod.
[automerge]1600878294[/automerge]
The one I picked up, has no pointy bit at all. My ground is rock hard clay.

Thanks Pete I wanna use a 5/8 rod.
[automerge]1600878294[/automerge]

The one I picked up, has no pointy bit at all. My ground is rock hard clay.
OK Mate thanks, anyone want's them they are FOC collection only. I wiil get shot of them if nobody wants them. Midwest you could poke one of the 3/8 ones in and join to a 5/8 extension couldn't you?
[automerge]1600878710[/automerge]
so get it on the grindstone. have i made my point?
No but you pointed the easy solution, more to the point.

You could buy one of the adaptors that you screw on the end to make it like the end of a mason art bit and you get another screwy bit for the top to fit in your SDS. You just drill it in like a long drill bit then.
think there a bit pricey still

What clamps does everyone normally use. I stopped using the split type as I found a few broken - the boat had sheared. Seems pretty common. Or maybe a dodgy batch round here.

I normally double up with a couple of the other type now. Where you slide the cable between rod and clamp.

I recently used 2m x M16 stainless studding as an earth rod. Angle grinder to make the end like a drill bit, then a "stud nut runner" to drive it down in to a 20mm hole initially drilled with a 1m SDS bit.

A thinner rod (e.g. M12) would be easier to put a ring tag on, as M16 ones start at 50mm CSA, though you can just punch a 16.5mm hole in 25x3mm lightning conductor earth tape to suit.

Why not buy a point end for the rod thats what we do? They're a couple of pounds and screw on to which ever end you want to go into the ground first

If the DC piling job taught me anything...it's that a point is for wimps...you want a blunt,not a point....how embarrassing is it,when the the weight of the 16mm GY,alone,is enough to push it in :cool:

I stick my armeg single box chaser on the end of my sds, put it on hammer, then lean all my weight on it to knock the rod in with ease
Ive got an actual earth rod drill bit that does the same job. It’s basically a SDS adaptor that’s about 4 inches long with a flat end and a small lip.
[automerge]1600967079[/automerge]
Here

Reply to Earth Rods - pointy one in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net