Discuss Earth Spike Test Kit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It's a PME supply and as I understand it there's a limit in distance as to how far you should take it down the garden, it's going to have water down there too. Ok there's no extraneous metal etc, but 79m from the house just feels too far to extend the equipotential zone of the house.

plus 2 core cable is significantly cheaper when you need 70m of 16mm.

It's a PME supply and as I understand it there's a limit in distance as to how far you should take it down the garden, it's going to have water down there too. Ok there's no extraneous metal etc, but 79m from the house just feels too far to extend the equipotential zone of the house.

plus 2 core cable is significantly cheaper when you need 70m of 16mm.

I'm not aware of this, I'd be interested if you have any info on it? Looks like a nice little job, are you doing the internal wiring of the summer house?

It did have a lot of pea gravel round it, all the way round, it was less than a spades depth...

would that hat becright that I have a gas pipe going through my flower bed?

I'm not aware of this, I'd be interested if you have any info on it? Looks like a nice little job, are you doing the internal wiring of the summer house?

Well it doesn't hurt to TT it, it gives me a challenge, I may well be wrong but was under that impression, I did have a read of the iet documents on outbuildings etc, but it brings up extraneous metal more so.

the wiring, the customer is wanting it very tidy in the inside and doesn't particularly want to see conduit, so will be putting conduit on the outside where it's not going to be seen as he will be planting trees all round it.

so doing it in the outside, you will then just have the sockets. Should look good.

.....Ok there's no extraneous metal etc, but 79m from the house just feels too far to extend the equipotential zone of the house.
I would revisit your feelings about not exporting the earth TBH.

If you're worried about hitting other services when you're knocking rods in then carefully dig a hole by hand (read spade) for the first 0.8 - 1 meter. It's pretty rare you'll find services deeper than that unless the surface levels have changed radically for some reason.

Last edited:
No not rigid, it's corrugated and packed with gravel, I'm sure it was yellow. When BGT finishes, I'll go out in the garden with a spade and take a pic!

Well it doesn't hurt to TT it, it gives me a challenge, I may well be wrong but was under that impression, I did have a read of the iet documents on outbuildings etc, but it brings up extraneous metal more so.

the wiring, the customer is wanting it very tidy in the inside and doesn't particularly want to see conduit, so will be putting conduit on the outside where it's not going to be seen as he will be planting trees all round it.

so doing it in the outside, you will then just have the sockets. Should look good.

happy days, looks like a good job to get some pics for the website.

Just ensure it is not the old water pipe,which has what looks like an asbestos covering. This stuff is very fragile,and next to impossible to branch or join.

Always best to research a bit,before knocking a hole in an unknown pipe/duct...:yes:

No not rigid, it's corrugated and packed with gravel, I'm sure it was yellow. When BGT finishes, I'll go out in the garden with a spade and take a pic!

If yellow and corrugated, it should be a duct housing a gas pipe. On the other hand, if it's perforated as well, which gas duct can be, someone may have used it as a land drain.

It must be some kind of surface run off coming from next door? I'll poke a rod down it with a bit of cable on then get my cable tracer out to see where it goes!

Reply to Earth Spike Test Kit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock