Discuss Earthing Stainless Steel Bench? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I presume the bench is not earthed now i.e. there is a very high resistance between it and earth, such as if it stands on plastic feet or a dry plastic floor. If they are getting shocks when touching it specifically after walking across the floor, it must be the people getting charged and then discharging themselves to the stray capacitance of the bench when they touch it. If that is the case, then neither a resistive connection to earth nor a solid bond will prevent the shocks as the stray capacitance will still be there, it could make them worse as the bench will discharge faster through the bond.

The only situation in which a 1MΩ earth strap on the bench would help is if it is the bench charging up, e.g. if there was compressed air / powder handling equipment on it generating a triboelectric charge, and then shocking the people.

It sounds like the floor needs treatment.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Lucien, your theory is how I see it also - however I am not sure how or if the floor could be treated - it's probably not fit for purpose in the environment it is in - I have told them this may be the case.

I have tested the bench etc and have now bonded the steel table leg with 6mm Green/Yellow to the earth at the SWA banjo on the socket above.

Staff say this is immediately better, with reduced static being felt - though not a total solution

before bonding the table, i would have used a voltmeter to determine whether there was a potential wrt earth on the table.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Lucien, your theory is how I see it also - however I am not sure how or if the floor could be treated - it's probably not fit for purpose in the environment it is in - I have told them this may be the case.

I have tested the bench etc and have now bonded the steel table leg with 6mm Green/Yellow to the earth at the SWA banjo on the socket above.

Staff say this is immediately better, with reduced static being felt - though not a total solution

If staff are getting a static charge built up on them from the man-made material of the floor, and then touching the bench and discharging this static charge, then earthing the bench can't improve the situation as far as I can see. The best way to avoid the effect is to touch the bench via a resistance first (as Sean mentions above). There used to be a product available in the form of a resistive self-adhesive pad which was fixed to metal objects (primarily filing cabinets in offices which are carpeted) - the user touches this briefly to discharge the static charge in a controlled way, then they will not feel anything when they touch the metal object. Daz

I will look into these discharge pads as a possible suggestion.

As I say staff say the static is less so since I did the connection to earth, strange I know.

Dont think increasing the humidity is an option due to the work they do.

All this due to some new flooring eh!

Change the bench is an option to a plastic one or some other type ?

That's OK until they touch something else made of metal like a cupboard or a power tool :)

This all reminds me of how I always used to get a static shock off car doors when I got out of the car - sometimes quite a powerful one. I never do now though because I know how to avoid it :) Daz

Reply to Earthing Stainless Steel Bench? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net