Discuss Earths twisted up outside of joint boxes. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes, very common. Not permitted now as all conductors must be within the enclosure.

So what sort of enclosure should conduit go in when it's used as a CPC?

Must admit that is a poor job in the photo. Green sleeving was available back then. And a terminal block. Would like to see inside that JB, 8 t&e's I think it would only need a sprinkle of parmisano to finish it off nicely.

So what sort of enclosure should conduit go in when it's used as a CPC?

Must admit that is a poor job in the photo. Green sleeving was available back then. And a terminal block. Would like to see inside that JB, 8 t&e's I think it would only need a sprinkle of parmisano to finish it off nicely.
Would hazard a guess that the joint box shown in the picture, is in my opinion far to small for the amount of cables that seem to be entering it 8 if my maths is up to scratch, should have used a plastic adaptable box, and as Wagos were to futuristic for the 70s a strip of connectors would do the trick nicely, cpcs as well.

cpc's should be wound on top of the JB and secured with a wire nut. then a bit of green tape to ID them. :D

Doesn't need to. However it must be painted green and yellow...

Once fitted conduit in a posh factory where we had to work like mad as the painters were only about 20 foot behind us covering everything in orange paint.
(Regulation colour for electric (silver for steam pipes) then, is it still? )

was a bodge then same as it would be now. to be fair to some of the sparks back then, lighting didn't usually have a cpc, so that was the obvious way to deal with a useless tangle of copper wire.:D

I don't think it was seen a bodge back then. Never done it myself mind. But in the 60s 70s when you were ripping out old, clamped conduit and lead cable that was used as the, then, earth and was totally exposed, then bare earth wire tightly wound must have seemed just as good or better.

Looks awful now though. Each generation of apprentice trained electricians improves on the last and so may it continue.

I don't think it was seen a bodge back then. Never done it myself mind. But in the 60s 70s when you were ripping out old, clamped conduit and lead cable that was used as the, then, earth and was totally exposed, then bare earth wire tightly wound must have seemed just as good or better.

Looks awful now though. Each generation of apprentice trained electricians improves on the last and so may it continue.
Hmmmm not sure I agree on that one. I think the general overall quality of electricians these days appears to be a lot lower than it was in the past.

If we're talking 20 years ago (in the dark ages????), it certainly was a bodge up...and it was green and yellow sleeving.
40 years back, green sleeving......but still a bodge.
I've certainly never done it and would have boll****d any one who did.

It was common practice in the 70/80's in domestic, you have to remember these were really the only joint boxes available and you were limited to 3 terminal for a 30amp and a 4 or 6 for 20amp or lower... they were cheap and effective, we didn't have a sea of choice in adaptable boxes and glands that we do today at affordable prices, it was usually a single/double surface mount with a blanking plate and a strip of connectors otherwise.

PS I did it because I was taught to at the company I did my apprenticeship with, yes it looks rough as nails now but it was funtional and did the job althought we stuck a 30amp connector to bind the earths at the end and we did use sleeving.

I remember Ashley/Rock catalogue in the 80's having a brass plate with terminals that the j.b screwed down onto and the earths terminating in these terminals outside j.b's.

Reply to Earths twisted up outside of joint boxes. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net