Discuss EIC price? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

Was just wondering how much shall I charge for EIC. Double rcd board 18 circuits. Some other sparky did 1st fix and 70% of 2nd fix then he disappeared.

Also there is some remedial works to be done:
Gas bonding, fussd switch to be installed.

How much shall I charge for all above?

Many thanks.

Hello,

Was just wondering how much shall I charge for EIC. Double rcd board 18 circuits. Some other sparky did 1st fix and 70% of 2nd fix then he disappeared.

Many thanks.

So you are happy to stick your name on a cert when you haven't seen the full install?
You are a brave person to take responsibility for someone else's work.

Hello,

Many thanks.
Unless you had eyes on and had experience of the actuall work involves , I don't see how you can issue an EIC, an EICR might be the best way forward, as you have no idea of how the work was done, and to what standard t's a no win situation, your neck could be on the line Mate

Thank you for your replies,
I thought that there are 3 fields on nic eic certificate (design, construction and testing) but unfortunately is only one signature. So I might just refuse to do EIC.

Thank you for your replies,
I thought that there are 3 fields on nic eic certificate (design, construction and testing) but unfortunately is only one signature. So I might just refuse to do EIC.
Well it's no good even considering an EIC Mate as you have no knowledge of how the installation was or has been constructed, end of.

EICR is the way forward on this job, if its your gran then the price is a cup of tea and a biscuit.

if it is anyone else, the price is what you would normally charge on your hourly rate +20% to 30% for the hassle of dealing with someone else's fcuk ups.

Customers mostly thinks we charging fortune but most of them does not know what responsibility it takes. I had somebody asking to quote for board replacement he didn't like my price and offered me £80 (he bought consumer unit) I told him why doesn't do it himself....

Yes but would that satisfy building control..
Not your problem at all, but get the customer to ask them. Unfortunately BC will often allow an EICR for a process known as regularisation, which is sort of notification after the fact.
An EICR keeps your arse out of the sling, make sure you describe the extent and limitations explicitly. ?

Fit the consumer unit and issue an EIC stating alteration to an existing installation, state the work carried out, installation of consumer unit. This limits the work to what you have done the rest of the installation is down to someone else. Just make your intentions clear.

Fit the consumer unit and issue an EIC stating alteration to an existing installation, state the work carried out, installation of consumer unit. This limits the work to what you have done the rest of the installation is down to someone else. Just make your intentions clear.

Nice and shiny consumer unit fitted already. Family lives there for almost year I believe. I did mainly wall lights, Garden lights and couple of pendants.

Use a 3 part EIC and put yourself down for testing only and in the description just put testing of all circuits for construction and design put by others, that should cover you.
You can charge per circuit for the testing but don't do it cheap.
You can download a 3 part cert on this site.

Use a 3 part EIC and put yourself down for testing only and in the description just put testing of all circuits for construction and design put by others, that should cover you.
You can charge per circuit for the testing but don't do it cheap.
You can download a 3 part cert on this site.
You cannot do that.

BS7671 is very, very clear that inspection and testing takes place during erection and on completion. He was not there during erection to witness how things were installed. Therefore he cannot sign for Inspection and Testing on an Electrical Installation Certificate other than for works which he personally did or witnessed.

Nice and shiny consumer unit fitted already. Family lives there for almost year I believe. I did mainly wall lights, Garden lights and couple of pendants.
Sounds like they need the EIC to get it signed off by building control? If you sign off a EIC for work that you have knowingly not been witness to from design through to completion, then you could be, in a court of law, technically committing fraud. Personally I'd take the advice of the good folk and issue a EIC for your own works and offer to do a EICR for the works outside this.

Reply to EIC price? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock