• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss EICR and RCD's. Is it a C2 or C3? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

No it’s not correct.
There is no requirement to install RCDs in Consumer Units.

There are requirements to protect some circuits, which would require an RCD be placed in or very close to the Consumer Unit.
However, the person who conducted the Inspection should be listing the instances where RCD protection is required but not been provided, and then applying a code for each of those instances.

In many instances, RCD protection can be provided, simply by the installation of an RCD or RCBO in or close to the Consumer Unit.

Only thing that’s changed, is the person who conducted the latest inspection, wants to make money from you.
Hi been using the Napit Code breaker for a few year now and if I see none or a lack of RCD protection for circuits not clipped direct or in trunking or conduit its a straight C2
just on the grounds of section 5.12.3, 522.6.202, no protection of cables in wall less than 50mm from surface, which can not always see but can assume if the wall is a standard 100mm wall, that it does not conform, we sparkies are not looking to rip people off as Ive seen peeps on here giving good sparks a bad name on for telling folks you got to spend money on your property to get it to a good and safe standard etc. as introducing RCD's or RCBO's also detects any Earth to Neutral defects if not already identified on the EICR
this is just my opinion and my clients will have a chose to do it or not.
Regards Jelade Electrical Services

Hi been using the Napit Code breaker for a few year now and if I see none or a lack of RCD protection for circuits not clipped direct or in trunking or conduit its a straight C2
just on the grounds of section 5.12.3, 522.6.202, no protection of cables in wall less than 50mm from surface, which can not always see but can assume if the wall is a standard 100mm wall, that it does not conform, we sparkies are not looking to rip people off as Ive seen peeps on here giving good sparks a bad name on for telling folks you got to spend money on your property to get it to a good and safe standard etc. as introducing RCD's or RCBO's also detects any Earth to Neutral defects if not already identified on the EICR
this is just my opinion and my clients will have a chose to do it or not.
Regards Jelade Electrical Services
This is at odds with Best Practice Guide 4, which codes it as C3

Hi Everyone.

I have done an EICR at a cleaning company today. The installation is less than a year old as they have had a refurb. The spark who did was retired and wouldn't issue any certification! In fairness the job is to an ok standard but there isn't any RCD protection on anything. Am i correct in thinking that because it was 'designed' under 7671:2018 that it is a C2? or would C3 still cover it?

Hi Everyone.

I have done an EICR at a cleaning company today. The installation is less than a year old as they have had a refurb. The spark who did was retired and wouldn't issue any certification! In fairness the job is to an ok standard but there isn't any RCD protection on anything. Am i correct in thinking that because it was 'designed' under 7671:2018 that it is a C2? or would C3 still cover it?
The date it was designed has absolutely nothing to do with how safe or dangerous it is.

You need to make that judgement.

Dates are wholly irrelevant.

Reply to EICR and RCD's. Is it a C2 or C3? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back