• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

EICR and RCD's. Is it a C2 or C3?

Discuss EICR and RCD's. Is it a C2 or C3? in the Looking for Domestic Electricians? area at ElectriciansForums.net

Victor Poon

EF Member
Hi,

My EICR is a C2 because the consumer unit does NOT have RCD's.
Is it correct?
My last EICR five years ago stated RCD as recommended.
What's changed?
The flat is on the 2nd floor built in 1997!
The electrician has quoted for a NEW Consumer Unit.

Thanks

Victor

magnoliafan89

Regular EF Member
Id have said c3...unless you wanted alterations but even then you could slap in an rcbo to protect the circuit you're altering.
If it met requirements when it was installed then it's fine. Feel your electrician may be trying to swindle you, dont get me wrong having rcd or rcbo protection is great but lack of does not necessarily garuntee a failure of the installation.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
should have had RCD protection to socket circuit/s back in 1997, but stilll a C3 IMO.

happyhippydad

Electrician's Arms
Hello Victor,
It may be a C2 or a C3 depending on a number of factors.
I would however definitely recommend you have RCD protection as it is a life saver and well worth the £400 - £500 quote for the new consumer unit.
Also, the regulations change all the time. Within the last 5 years the regulations have required RCD protection for more and more situations.

Victor Poon

EF Member
My issue is he has given a C2.
My seeking opinion is to confirm that the EICR should be a C3 with
a strong recommendation in fitting RCD's or RCBO.
Is the consumer unit really C2 (Potentially Dangerous)?
How many Consumer Units in the UK that have no RCD or RCBO?

magnoliafan89

Regular EF Member
Not strictly true. Whether it was permissible when installed or not is completely immaterial to how safe or unsafe it is now.
No you're right but we all know a lot of sparks who go in an start sucking their teeth whilst rubbing their hands telling the client something is unsafe whilst already counting the pound signs.
Ive come across a few who tell people they need to splash out on a new cu simply because its not metal.
If nothing else was wrong and it was simply a lack of rcd the electrician could have also suggested putting an rcd before the board.

Andy78

Respected Member
I hate it when a report says "No RCD" as a blanket assessment. It should state what specific requirements of the regulations that require RCD protection have not been met. These issues can be C2 or C3.

Andy78

Respected Member
No you're right but we all know a lot of sparks who go in an start sucking their teeth whilst rubbing their hands telling the client something is unsafe whilst already counting the pound signs.
Ive come across a few who tell people they need to splash out on a new cu simply because its not metal.
If nothing else was wrong and it was simply a lack of rcd the electrician could have also suggested putting an rcd before the board.
A single RCD for the installation would not be a compliant solution.

Andy78

Respected Member
I am confused sorry. To be compliant for the EICR to be satisfactory I need RCD's?
Nobody here knows as we have not done the inspection nor know what the issue regarding lack of RCDs actually is. There is no regulation that says "a consumer unit must incorporate RCDs", but rather a number of specific regulations that require RCDs for different applications.

You can always get a second opinion from another local electrician if you want by letting them see the report.

happyhippydad

Electrician's Arms
I really think we need to instil the virtues of RCD's when a member of the public asks a question rather than use strong terms about the electrician who has given a C2 for lack of RCD's. The electrician may well be wrong (perhaps not though, I have given C2's for lack of RCD's in certain situations) but rather than say he's trying to swindle you (which I doubt he is) which makes the customer focus on the electrician rather than the importance of the life saving RCD, we could say it may well be a C3 but would be a very, very good idea to get done.

happyhippydad

Electrician's Arms
Could I ask if you are living in the property Victor or renting it out? The reason I ask is that you have said the last EICR was 5 years ago which makes me think you are renting it out.
As a landlord I would feel much happier with my tenants having RCD protection in their house especially if there are children who may enjoy sticking knives in toasters etc etc. :)

Official Sponsors

Electrician Talk

Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript![ ? ]