Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss EICR and RCD's. Is it a C2 or C3? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Thank you all and everyone for their comments.
I won't comment whether I am a 'greedy landlord', I certainly
don't wish to be taken advantage off. Equally I don't think I take advantage of others.
Re-capping:-
1) 2nd Floor flat in a block built NEW in 1997.
2) Five years ago I have a satisfactory EICR.
3) Now I have a C2 (Potentially Dangerous). This rating can be changed as I have a quotation to "fit a new fuseboard to meet current regulation" - as written by the electrician. A new fuseboard solves my problem?

Logic question - Why is it a C2 if RCD's are NOT mandatory given it was satisfactory five years ago? Why wasn't it a C2 five years ago?

Thanks everyone again.

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
don't wish to be taken advantage off. Equally I don't think I take advantage of others.
3) Now I have a C2 (Potentially Dangerous). This rating can be changed as I have a quotation to "fit a new fuseboard to meet current regulation" - as written by the electrician. A new fuseboard solves my problem?

Logic question - Why is it a C2 if RCD's are NOT mandatory given it was satisfactory five years ago? Why wasn't it a C2 five years ago?

Thanks everyone again.
Again, you need to clarify with the issuer of the report which specific issues the codes have been given for as a starting point.

I think you will find that is not limited to just sockets.
I know just an example

What is the point of

Thanks everyone again.
Because it is a matter of life and death. Some newer electricians won't take the chance. They tend to freak out when they see no RCD.

I suggest you be a good landlord and follow the recommendations on the EICR. It's there for a reason.

I have no problems about fitting RCD or spending money.
Indeed plans are being made to fit RCD's.
I am asking for quotations now.

My question is one of logic. Why now it's a C2 now and NOT a C2 five years ago. Assuming nothing has changed. The flat was built 22 years ago.

Coding is generally a matter of personal opinion, there are no cast in stone rules. Experienced people are likely to Code 3 it provided the existing circuit protection provides adequate fault protection. The statement should be one of fact that circuits do not have additional rcd protection but this does not necessarily mean the installation is not safe for continued use. Nothing has particularly changed in the last five years to warrant a change of Code but as I say it is personal judgement and inexperienced people often jump on the Code 2 bandwagon.

N

Nigel

Thanks everyone again.
The honest answer is we do not have enough info to make an informed response.

If you could scan and put the report on here it would help.

Paignton pete

-
Arms
Esteemed
There is no requirement or change of regs that say an rcd should be installed in an existing installation if no additions or alterations have been or are being done.

However it may be nessissary if the nstalation has deteriorated and the fault currents have increased to an unacceptable level( unlikely), or the electrician has found something that the previous EICR inspector did not.
If it's the same inspector then I would be asking why they didn't find it last time.

That's the best answer I can give without more info.

The inspector needs to say specifically why it needs rcd protection.

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
RCD protection for bathrooms and domestic lighting circuits ticked, but no RCDs on the test schedule ? But RCD testing and functional testing ticked ?

That's all I have. Apart from a quotation to replace "fuseboard".
So do I spend many hundreds of pounds to replace the Consumer Unit?
Of course ideally ALL Consumer Units in every household should meet current regulations. This is not realistic. The bottom line is C2 (Potentially Dangerous) applicable given the data?

If a number of forum member have a c2 (potentially dangerous) opinion I will change the Consumer Unit.

Thanks for all your feedback....

No. Couldn't find the guy before.

N

Nigel

This is a redacted EICR. Uploaded as suggested.
Many thanks.
That EICR is not correct.

One example is he has implied RCDs are required for fault protection in your property. Looking at the results he has recorded they are not.

Secondly cables butied in a wall without RCD protection is never a C2.

I would send an email of complaint.

D

Deleted member 26818

Another EICR where the inspector believes RCDs are required for fault protection.

You do not base findings in an EICR predicting the actions of a child. Your findings are based upon BS7671 which does not differentiate between a child and an adult.

bill01803

-
Arms
According to the tick sheet there is supplementary bonding in the bathroom so no rcd required there. There is also IR values in L-N column, so everything got disconnected, all lamps removed etc to preform this test - I don't think so.
I would complain to NAPIT as the standard of the report is poor with unwarranted C2s.
All said though a board upgrade is a good recommend.

Risteard

-
Arms
Esteemed
According to the tick sheet there is supplementary bonding in the bathroom so no rcd required there. There is also IR values in L-N column, so everything got disconnected, all lamps removed etc to preform this test - I don't think so.
I would complain to NAPIT as the standard of the report is poor with unwarranted C2s.
All said though a board upgrade is a good recommend.
Supplementary bonding does not remove the requirement for RCD protection of bathroom circuits. 30mA RCD protection of bathroom circuits may well remove the requirement for supplementary bonding though.

Without personally inspecting the property it’s difficult to know what has been discovered or missed by the previous inspection. I may issues a code 2, if for example,
1. Socket installed too close to a sink which can potentially be splashed
2. Any signed of water ingress
3. TT earthing system have no RCD protection
4. Outside socket (balconied) or potential to plug in and use an device outside.
5. High Zs reading not protected by RCD
6. No mechanical protected for cables (concealed <50mm, in metal framed partition, or otherwise)
7. Socket within 3m of zone 1
Or any other general safety conserns that want a risk assessment for admission of RCD (reg 411.3.3)

The fact that it’s probably got code 3 5 years ago and the recommendation goes ignored. Most people translate c3 to satisfactory and just ignore then until they get worse or C2s.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
If you have the eicr from 5 years previous did the spark ask to see it? As he’s ticked date of last inspection unknown but you say 5 years?

Last edited:
Would it not be a c3 for sockets not exceeding 32A and a C2 for cables concealed within wall, that’s according to the NAPIT CODEBREAKERS

D

Deleted member 26818

Supplementary bonding does not remove the requirement for RCD protection of bathroom circuits. 30mA RCD protection of bathroom circuits may well remove the requirement for supplementary bonding though.
The tick sheet says there is RCD protection for the bathroom circuits.

The tick sheet says there is RCD protection for the bathroom circuits.
Q1 it says u have 10 mmm main tails these are usually 25 or 16 min
If they are 10mm this is a C2 as they are undersized
Q2 report says u have AFDDs and surge protection
Defo not
Q3 did he inspect below the floors and above ceilings
Q4 did he carry out R1+ R2 tests as the numbers are exactly ZS-ZE
Q5 cable type 1 on report there is no type 1 it should be A
The values on the report are wrong 5.88 ??
You should send that report to NAPIT and ask for their comment and if possible post the response on the forum,,
The quality of testing is always a question raised ,
There is no rcd test results on his results
And he says there is rcd test notifications labels

Reply to EICR and RCD's. Is it a C2 or C3? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom