Discuss EICR coding twin and earth tails/riser in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The level of danger is still present regardless of what edition it was installed to.
Fused neutrals where once a thing, they would certainly warrant a C2 code regardless of what edition it was installed to.
The question is do the cables present a potential danger with how they are installed or do they mearly require improvement only?
16th edition installed, 17th edition installed, makes absolutely zero difference, they are still buried directly in a wall.
Yes I agree with this and yes the same danger applies. So really if my opinion is that an observation is a code 2 then I should code 2 it regardless of its age, My thought process was using the the seat belt analogy , you can drive a car without seat belts if was built before a certain date a believe .My understanding is you can not use the regulations retrospectively, so how can give an unsatisfactory report to an installation that was installed before the regulation came out.

Yes I agree with this and yes the same danger applies. So really if my opinion is that an observation is a code 2 then I should code 2 it regardless of its age, My thought process was using the the seat belt analogy , you can drive a car without seat belts if was built before a certain date a believe .My understanding is you can not use the regulations retrospectively, so how can give an unsatisfactory report to an installation that was installed before the regulation came out.
Because safety continuously evolves along with our knowledge and learning from not implementing something, an example would be premature collapse of cables having had firefighters die because of it, that regulation is very much applied retrospectively in my inspections.
Fused neutrals as my example before would never be given a C3 regardless of when it once complied.
However C2 codes for things like IP ratings in consumer units not being adhered to is a C2 , whatever edition really has no bearing on some of the things picked up on.

Because something like a fused neutral is well understood to be unacceptable now, regardless of when it was installed.

Because safety continuously evolves along with our knowledge and learning from not implementing something, an example would be premature collapse of cables having had firefighters die because of it, that regulation is very much applied retrospectively in my inspections.
Fused neutrals as my example before would never be given a C3 regardless of when it once complied.
However C2 codes for things like IP ratings in consumer units not being adhered to is a C2 , whatever edition really has no bearing on some of the things picked up on.
You make a good point and thanks this is good conversation, and so just to confirm an installation that was installed correct at the time of the 16th addition , could now be given an unsatisfactory report due to a code 2 such as cable not supported from premature collapse....

You make a good point and thanks this is good conversation, and so just to confirm an installation that was installed correct at the time of the 16th addition , could now be given an unsatisfactory report due to a code 2 such as cable not supported from premature collapse....

Another example is an outside socket with no RCD protection. Wouldn't have been uncommon years ago.

I guess you can't know the cable routes and depth, but 522.6.202 only applies if they're buried less than 50mm from the surface doesn't it? The 3m rule only applies to tails from DNO equipment I think (434.2.1), which your switched fused spur isn't.
Somehow I can't anyone connecting 16mm2 into a switched fuse spur, can you?

Perceived danger isnt potential danger
Regards, UKPN⚡
it can be. you percieve that someone could nail a cable in a wall, but it's not an immediate danger until if and when that someone decides to bang a nail in. that is a potential danger.
potentially, he/she could hit or miss the cable.

Where do you stop with this?

I'm all for making things safer where practicable but the return has to outweigh the cost.

The hazard of banging a nail in a cable hasn't changed, the liklihood hasn't changed and the consequence hasn't changed.

If cables less than 50mm in a wall is a C2 then the only option is to agree it as a limitation.

"No invasive procedures, no lifting floor boards and no loft access"

LIM the lot. ?

Also the level of what is deemed to be "dangerous" decreases year on year... e.g. driving without a seatbelt on was perfectly acceptable 30 years ago... now it's been made illegal.

Actually coming up to 38 years, now. (31 January 1983).

Reply to EICR coding twin and earth tails/riser in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock