Discuss EICR prices - 3 bed semi or per certificate? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Chris

-
Reaction score
I was asked if I can test a domestic property in Liverpool yesterday, I said yes i can and told them I charge £120 for an EICR. They then replied
"£100 sounds better"
I replied saying no I charge £120 for a domestic EICR (Which i think is pretty reasonable?)
They did not reply!

Out of curiosity how much do you charge for a domestic EICR and what area are you from?
I Feel like £100 is too cheap for a proper inspection and test?
and do any of you negotiate on price at all?
I set a price and dont move from it as i think if i could do it any cheaper (without doing myself over) then I would? If i set a price and then lower it was i not overcharging in the first place?

Curious to hear other opinions!

£175 is my absolute minimum for any property. It's hardly ever that cheap though.
There are loads round here who make them up and go in and out in 40 minutes or so for £60. They are very popular with landlords.

Better off setting your price per circuit and don’t budge, that’s the price take it or leave don’t race to the bottom cos everyone loses :)
What is your price per circuit if you dont mind me asking?
[automerge]1567009384[/automerge]
Depends on the size of the property, but £120 is too cheap unless it is a very small flat/bedsit.

See most people ive spoken too charge around the 120 mark so ive always thought its pretty standard, i usually spend around 3 hours in the property testing and about an hour writing up the cert. Charged at £30ph. What is your pricing process?

Napit s suggestion for eicrs seems a standard that can be applied in most instances
They recommend 40 mins per circuit and 40 mins per distribution board

So a typical domestic with one cons unit and 6 circuits would be around five hours with the paperwork added,multiply this by your hourly rate

@Chris, I only do domestic and only as an add on to my existing business and rarely do an eicr so don’t really have to be competitive, I charge £30 a circuit upto 6 circuits, anymore than that and I’d charge for the day......but as I say if I don’t get it I’m not fussed :)......and with the advent of the drive by £60 eicr I can’t see me doing many more as I want no part of that game.....I’d rather sleep easy at night than put my name to one of them

I estimate how long it will take, and cost it based on £36 or £40 per hour. But it is rare that I'd only need 3 hours, more like 5 hours for 3-bed semi, and longer for a larger property.

Plus I'm sufficiently busy that I'm not worried if I don't get the work. If someone tells me it is expensive, I usually explain they can likely get it done cheaper, possibly with reduced testing (which might be what they are looking for, if it is just to be able to say one has been done).

It’s shame that it’s gonna take another person dying before anyone clamps down on the drive bys.....

When you say "another person" who is the first person by the way ?
If there was a first person I would suggest a second will have no effect on the PIR industry at all

Not enough people get killed by electricity therefore any action to regulate is a cost that can not be justified by the regulators

The scam of inspections by mainly inexperienced persons for rogue companies will continue unabated whilst economics is the only driving force

I was asked if I can test a domestic property in Liverpool yesterday, I said yes i can and told them I charge £120 for an EICR. They then replied
"£100 sounds better"
I replied saying no I charge £120 for a domestic EICR (Which i think is pretty reasonable?)
They did not reply!

Out of curiosity how much do you charge for a domestic EICR and what area are you from?
I Feel like £100 is too cheap for a proper inspection and test?
and do any of you negotiate on price at all?
I set a price and dont move from it as i think if i could do it any cheaper (without doing myself over) then I would? If i set a price and then lower it was i not overcharging in the first place?

Curious to hear other opinions!
Too cheap more likely £250 plus a bit say £300

Was referring to Mary Wherry @Des 56.....admittedly nothing to do with eicrs but it made people look at the industry, specifically domestic electrical works

Was referring to Mary Wherry @Des 56.....admittedly nothing to do with eicrs but it made people look at the industry, specifically domestic electrical works
Ah right I understand now:)

I did read of and know of that case,it was a tragedy and this particular case showed that no action would likely ever be taken to make schemes and rogue companies become responsible in the eicr market

Thanks very much for the info

I charge £150 for a standard 1-2 bed flat and £250 for a standard 3-4 bed house, any bigger and it's estimated on time or per circuit! I seem to do a lot of houses but not so many flats, mainly student let houses too.

Reply to EICR prices - 3 bed semi or per certificate? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net