Discuss EICR rectifications completed by another electrician, what now? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all.

I have recently passed my 2395, allowing me to carry out EICRs and have just thought of a possible scenario for which I'm not sure how I'd handle.

I do a lot of work for a letting agency and I know that when they get periodic reports carried out on their properties, if there are any rectifications required then another electrician/ company will put them right. This is to stop people from coming up with ridiculous 'faults' on their report, hoping it will drum up more work for them.

The scenario I am unsure of is if I deem an installation unsatisfactory and somebody else carries out the rectifications, what is the best way to then deem the installation satisfactory? Obviously I can't just just give them a new certificate stating 'satisfactory' without seeing whether the rectifications were carried out.

Would the letting agency/ customer need an invoice or a test certificate stating the other electrician had carried out the rectifications? Would they be able to attach this to my original EICR and that would be as good as having 'satisfactory' on it?

Thanks in advance!

If someone else carries out the remedial works it is for them to confirm whether the installation is now satisfactory, the ball is no longer in your court. If they want another Report to give a satisfactory outcome they will have to pay you to carry out another EICR.

Ok, to start off, the 2395 does not allow you to carry out EICRs.
By rights appropriate certification appended to your report should be sufficient.
If however a ‘Satisfactry’ report is required, then you will have to conduct another inspection and issue another EICR.

Hello all.

I have recently passed my 2395, allowing me to carry out EICRs and have just thought of a possible scenario for which I'm not sure how I'd handle.

I do a lot of work for a letting agency and I know that when they get periodic reports carried out on their properties, if there are any rectifications required then another electrician/ company will put them right. This is to stop people from coming up with ridiculous 'faults' on their report, hoping it will drum up more work for them.

The scenario I am unsure of is if I deem an installation unsatisfactory and somebody else carries out the rectifications, what is the best way to then deem the installation satisfactory? Obviously I can't just just give them a new certificate stating 'satisfactory' without seeing whether the rectifications were carried out.

Would the letting agency/ customer need an invoice or a test certificate stating the other electrician had carried out the rectifications? Would they be able to attach this to my original EICR and that would be as good as having 'satisfactory' on it?

Thanks in advance!
alex, if you have carried out an EICR, issued the certificate, got paid then your part of the job is done, if the client wishes to go to another source to get the faults ( if any fixed ) then that's their prerogative, your part in the procedure is over, unless of course the firm doing the repairs, accuses you of falsifying the EICR for your own benefit.

unless of course the firm doing the repairs, accuses you of falsifying the EICR for your own benefit.[/QUOTE]
Pete, you are always thinking people are up to no good when most of the time people are honest.

unless of course the firm doing the repairs, accuses you of falsifying the EICR for your own benefit.
Pete, you are always thinking people are up to no good when most of the time people are honest.[/QUOTE]
like Robert Maxwell???

Pete, you are always thinking people are up to no good when most of the time people are honest.

There are arguments for both. sides of this argument, I have carried out remedials for shops where the EICR has been carried out by others and some of the codings I have seen are ridiculous witg also some blatant defects not recorded.

If the remedials works have been carried out in good time and certified then the EICR then becomes a ‘satisfactory’ report.
Not sure exactly what this means?
An unsatisfactory report would still state unsatisfactory after remedial work had been conducted.
If certification detailing rectification of all the observations that made the report unsatisfactory was appended to the report, then yes the report should then be considered as satisfied.
The report should still state unsatisfactory.

A report is stated as unsatisfactory at the time the report was carried out but signed of for x years so long as all C1s and C2s are repaired in good time.

If anyone is doing a second EICR following remedial works they are over egging the pudding completely by carrying out completely unnecessary works.

A report is stated as unsatisfactory at the time the report was carried out but signed of for x years so long as all C1s and C2s are repaired in good time.

If anyone is doing a second EICR following remedial works they are over egging the pudding completely by carrying out completely unnecessary works.
I don’t know what you mean by being signed off for x amount of years?
If it’s unsatisfactory, there’s no x number of years.

If I conduct an EICR, that’s it all done.
Someone wants another EICR, they pay for it.
I’m not about to amend my report, just because someone says they’ve rectified the faults I’ve found.

Not sure what the official line is here but as others have said the EICR is just a report detailing the condition of the instalation. If a different company comes in to carry out remedial work then perhaps they could issue a cover letter with the certs, confirming that all defecfs noted in the report have been rectified.

You don’t need any qualifications to carry out EICRs.

Ahh - right. I think I mis-understood your comment to mean that you need some other qualification.

Presumably, then, the person carrying out the EICR must be ‘competent’- one way or another.

I’ve done the 2395 - nothing wrong with it in the sense it offers some training, and its better than nothing. I don’t believe that everyone who has got it is necessarily competent to carry out EICR’s straight away......

The 2391 was introduced at the behest of the NICEIC, as a qualification to be a Qualified Supervisor.
So many of their existing Qualified Supervisors failed the exam, that the NICEIC dropped it as a requirement.
It then became a qualification for practicing Inspectors to aim for as proof of their competence.
The JIB adopted it as a requirement for the ‘Approved’ grade around about 2005. I believe it was required for renewals as well as new applicants for the grade?
Latterly it has become seen as a qualification to allow someone to become an Inspector.
The 2391 was withdrawn and replaced with the 2394 and 2395 in 2012 by the City & Guilds, as rather late response to the introduction of Part P.
The idea being that ‘Part P’ Domestic Installers would only require the Initial Verification part.
The new 2391 has 3 parts, Initial Verification, Periodic Inspection and combined Initial Verification and Periodic Inspection.
In effect the 2394 has become the 2391-50, the 2395 has become the 2391-51 and the 2391 has become the 2391-52.
This change is supposedly to remove any confusion that occurred when the 2394 and 2395 were introduced.

I don’t know what you mean by being signed off for x amount of years?
If it’s unsatisfactory, there’s no x number of years.

If I conduct an EICR, that’s it all done.
Someone wants another EICR, they pay for it.
I’m not about to amend my report, just because someone says they’ve rectified the faults I’ve found.

I don’t know what kind of reports you issue but the ones we issue clearly state a next inspection due date that is dependant on all C1 and C2 remedials being repaired urgently.

An unsatisfactory EICR is still signed off generally for 5/10 years. Subject to remedial works being completed.

Not sure what the official line is here but as others have said the EICR is just a report detailing the condition of the installation. If a different company comes in to carry out remedial work then perhaps they could issue a cover letter with the certs, confirming that all defects noted in the report have been rectified.

I think this is a good way and have done it this way myself. The EICR is just a report of an installation as it was at the time of inspection.
Whoever then carried out the remedial work, be it the original inspector of the EICR or someone else, they would then issue an EIC or MWC as appropriate to cover the remedial works and cross reference it back to the EICR individual C1 and C2 observations that have now been rectified. The report and cert would then be kept together and it would be clear to anyone in the future that there were findings in the report that were rectified and certified after. Easy :)

Reply to EICR rectifications completed by another electrician, what now? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net