NICEIC Certification Scheme EICR Remedial Works evidence

Discuss EICR Remedial Works evidence in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

FreeBeam

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here and looking for some advice and confirmation. We are planning to rent out our home and have completed EICR through the agents. The EICR came back with a few C2.

240v fan in shower cubicle C2
Socket backbox damaged in lounge C2
Socket backbox damaged in hallway C2
IP of boiler spur C2
IP of garage socket C2
Connection of kitchen downlights not enclosed C2

The quote came out to be £455 to fix the above C2s from the same company carrying out the EICR. I am not sure if this is reasonable but my question is about the remedial works itself.

The same company completed the remedial works and has issued a cover letter stating that works have been done quoting a reference to each C2 and now the overall assessment is "Satisfactory" with a reference number to the EICR. The cover letter does not have any name, stamp, signature but just company's address on the top right. Is it an acceptable type of evidence for the remedial works? Or do we need to some standard certificate or signed paper?

Thanks

soulds OK. you have the EICR and evidence to show that the faults have been rectified.

I do, however, disagree with someof those codings. e.g. a 240V fan ina showere enclosure is perfectly
comliant as long as the IP rating is IPX4 or better.

damaged back boxes a C2 if there's a potential danger evident. if not, then a C3 is the right coding

Those IP ratings, can't say without seeing.

downlight connections unenclosed is only a C3.

£455 seems excessive for that half day's work.

Never known a boiler switch needing to be IP rated unless it’s outside.
Same with garage socket, unless inside of garage is likely to get wet (spray washing inside?)

Too late now to do anything, but photographs of the issues before being sorted would have maybe brought up discrepancies.

Same with garage socket, unless inside of garage is likely to get wet (spray washing inside?)

Too late now to do anything, but photographs of the issues before being sorted would have maybe brought up discrepancies.
Could have cable entry in top or bottom too big maybe, but I’d expect the inspector to say this.

The codings seem ok to me. Also the paperwork will be acceptable.

I normally do a statement of fact fo4 landlords stating what has been don3 to rectify any issues stating that if an EICR where to be now done a satisfactory result would be gained as long as no other issues have arisen since the report was done.
however this is not required. It’s what I do.

the price. Does seem far too high for half a day in Leeds.
unless There was more to the extractor job than swapping fo4 a higher IP rated one.

half day labour £150- £200
materials £ 50- £100

total £200-£300
obviously there may be more to this than I am seeing.
was the property empty or inhabited. Are the tenants accommodating? Are the issues accessible within the property.
£455 does seem excessive but if there are access issues…...
How much was the EICR?

It will be finger access IP. Only needs to be IP20 doesn't it? That still allows a very large hole, especially if it's already partly filled with a cable.

Don't forget, 'IP rated' does not mean waterproof. Although a lot of people seem to use it in that manner.

Thanks, everyone for the response. Really appreciated. Below a few pictures from my records (Not provided by the electrician)
1) Extractor fan, no coring was involved, simple replacement.
2) Sockets were slightly tilted, not sure if anything was broken at the back.
3) Ditto
4) Boiler siwtch, not IP rated so fair comment. The garage is fully covered by the way.
5) Same as Boilder so fair comment. The garage is fully covered by the way.
6) Dont know what is it.

Like I said, may be too expensive but didn't want the hassle hence paid the Contractor.

If a remedial report without a signature/name/stamp is acceptable then I have no issues. I am a bit surprised that something without a sign/stamp is allowed for such an important job.

Attachments

• 1. 240v Fan in Shower Cubicle C2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 2. Socket Damage Louge C2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 3. Socket Damage Hallway C2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 4. IP of Boiler Spur C2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 32
I would just like to clarify that a quote was provided and we accepted it so inspector is not at fault. It should have been up to us to check and verify or query the quote before accepting.

The purpose of my post was to understand the process involved in the remedial works. Sharing the cost and defects was only for other members who may go through the same process and would benefit from it.

1) Extractor fan, no coring was involved, simple replacement.
Confused! If the inspector thought a 230v fan was a C2 and it was a simple replacement, it could only have been replaced with a 230v model which in the inspectors eyes is still a C2!!!

Perhaps a transformer was fitted in the loft space to go with the ELV fan. A spur to a boiler doesn't need to be weatherproof but I would have expected it to be fused. I can see the reasoning for the sockets and lights being a C2, were the lights replaced?

Perhaps a transformer was fitted in the loft space to go with the ELV fan. A spur to a boiler doesn't need to be weatherproof but I would have expected it to be fused. I can see the reasoning for the sockets and lights being a C2, were the lights replaced?

IP rated does not mean waterproof.

Reply to EICR Remedial Works evidence in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net