Discuss Elecsa assessment CU change in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

johntom

Hi
i am going to be doing my elecsa assessment soon and plan to change the cu in a relative's bungalow to a wylex dual rcd board (4 + 4 ways protected and 2 ways unprotected)

What is the best practise re splitting the circuits (for integrity of supply) and should the lights be protected (thought i read somewhere that they shouldn't be, but i don't know why as the cables will be in walls, depth and mechanical protection unknown)?

Also is it neccessary to fit smoke alarms when upgrading (these would ideally be unprotected)?

Lastly is the assessor likley to ask about connecting the tails to the cu, ie working live or pulling the main fuse and resealing (which i know is naughty)?
any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to split the circuits so that if one RCD trips for whatever reason, it does not take out the whole of the lighting. So if you can, split the lighting between the two.

Smokes are not needed for a CU change, although it can be noted on the cert.

Unusual to be asked about pulling the main fuse.

One thing i will say is if you are asked to do a test that involves removing the CU cover then PROVE DEAD!!!!!

Also, NEVER walk away from the CU with the cover off, even if its isolated.

Good luck!

Agree also if he asks about the meter tails then all you do is tell him its all under control your mate works for southern electric fitting meters and he done it ! Works every time !

Hi guys,

Refer to Kung posted......??........correct if i'm wrong ....i though you must show or prove the main supply fuse is isolate by Electric supply....??.....befor and after council inspection .........??? like you said it would same us time and money...!!!...otherwise all that work you do can they can fail you.?

Hi guys,

Refer to Kung posted......??........correct if i'm wrong ....i though you must show or prove the main supply fuse is isolate by Electric supply....??.....befor and after council inspection .........??? like you said it would same us time and money...!!!...otherwise all that work you do can they can fail you.?

If the tails need changing change them ! he can fail you for undersized tails so advice is if qualified when you notify the labc take your quals along and they wont inspect before and after as its for assessment and even if you fail the jobs coverd as the assessor can sign it off ! if you pref get some other person to change them or pay dno ! you may be able to get DNO to change meter to isolating meter as the outgoing are the customers and if they wont let you pull cutout fuse then they are stopping you changing YOUR tails maba worth a call they used to let sparks pull them and reseal after but could check before !
Regards
Kung.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
i can change the tails is necessary, i am just worried about being asked the question, 'did you work live or pull the fuse?'
Even if the tails are already 25mm will i be asked what procedure i followed to isolate before changing the board?
What other jobs have been done for assessment?

Johntom

Had my assessment a few weeks back had to change a CU for an RCD controlled one no isolator so pulled the fuse:rolleyes:
The assessor did'nt ask how i managed to isolate the supply

When I phoned ELECSA about doing a cu change for my assesment they asked for a cu change & a new circuit installed so having to do cu change & new ring main in kitchen.Might be an idea to check with them first if not done so.Regards,Sparkdog.

Reply to Elecsa assessment CU change in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net