Discuss Electric car chargers in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bob Geldoff1234

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I know nothing about electric car chargers so was wondering if anyone can answer my question.

I see that some of the new service station electric chargers at rated at 150kw.
How do they wire that up to get so much power to the car? Is the cable supplying the charger underground absolutely massive?Is is 3 phase to even the load?

I know that a 10.5 kw shower in a domestic would need at least 10mm cable so I cannot get my head around how they supply 10 times that.I would have thought that to get 150kw you would have to go back to the national grid to tap into that sort of power.

If anyone can enlighten me I would be most appreciated.

The three phase chargers we have installed are 2x11KW (that's two 11KW outlets from one device), I've never seen anything 150 KW. Even at 3 phase that would be 375 A.

a lot of these superchargers take ac and turn it into dc so can get confusing.
i know the superfast quick charger from ev box uses a 77 amp ac 3 phase supply and can put out 120a dc. thing is too much fast charging at mode4 via these dc fast chargers has been shown to degrade the battery cells. they are getting better but its still early days in the history of car batteries.
The data sheet is below.

Attachments

• Product Brochure- DC 50 (digital).pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

Reply to Electric car chargers in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock