Discuss Electric Fusion Boiler Repair or Replacement in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1st floor duplex flat and upstairs in the boiler room is an Electric Fusion Boiler with hot water cylinder tank. The hot water tank is working fine for the water but the boiler / central heating system which is a bit of a beast, (installed in 2006 image attached), is now faulty. Basically it trips out if I try to up the temp even from 0 or 1 on the display to turn on the central heating, it drops out and displays 1.2 and flashes. So the bottom line is that I can't get the temp up to heat the radiators anymore. I'm thinking a new electric boiler is on the cards but I've had a really hard time just getting anyone to come out and even look at it. Seems if it's not a gas boiler nobody wants to know. If I go for a new electric boiler, any recommends on make or model, I'd like a really good quality one. Also any advice on installation and price etc. Thanks for any help, much appreciated.Electric Fusion Boiler.jpg

A few questions

Is the hot water being heated via the immersion at present ie boiler not being used
Asking as i assume its a S plan with a motorised valve
The boiler can easly be repaired if its just an element etc gone wrong (if you cant find anyone then ask the maker for a engineer)
its not a plumber you need but an electrician
If i was to replace it i would fit a like for like

Is the hot water being heated via the immersion at present ie boiler not being used
Asking as i assume its a S plan with a motorised valve
The boiler can easly be repaired if its just an element etc gone wrong (if you cant find anyone then ask the maker for a engineer)
its not a plumber you need but an electrician
If i was to replace it i would fit a like for like

Hi, thanks for the response, and yes, the hot water is heated without the boiler being used at all. I either press the boost button on the control unit on the wall or set the unit to heat the water overnight. So a plumber would have no part of this job? Just an electrician who has experience fitting electric boilers? When you say like for like, so another fusion boiler from the electric heating company i presume? Would you recommend replacing both the cylinder and boiler at the same time just to get one of the package boiler and cylinder deals? Looks around £2500 on their site. And finally, I presume this is a totally different issue, I did post it in the plumbing forums, but two of my radiators don't heat up, plumber who came out said I needed a full flushing of the system, so do you think I should get new radiators as well, just replace everything all in one go. thanks again for any advice.

If just the boiler is faulty, having that repaired is probably the way to go. As the cylinder and boiler are separate there is no need to replace that unless there is some fault with that also. A plumber may be required to replace some wet parts, but an electrician would be better at finding the fault. There are quite a few companies that employ electricians, plumbers and heating engineers, I would be looking at contacting one of those.

I have looked at the manual and it has no mention of the 2 digit display flashing, are any other indicator lights flashing at the same time?

Hi, thanks for the response, and yes, the hot water is heated without the boiler being used at all. I either press the boost button on the control unit on the wall or set the unit to heat the water overnight. So a plumber would have no part of this job? Just an electrician who has experience fitting electric boilers? When you say like for like, so another fusion boiler from the electric heating company i presume? Would you recommend replacing both the cylinder and boiler at the same time just to get one of the package boiler and cylinder deals? Looks around £2500 on their site. And finally, I presume this is a totally different issue, I did post it in the plumbing forums, but two of my radiators don't heat up, plumber who came out said I needed a full flushing of the system, so do you think I should get new radiators as well, just replace everything all in one go. thanks again for any advice.
a plumber will always recommend flushing the system, as it's a good earner for little effort. (BG quoted us £800 to do this as it's not covered by the maintenance contract/end of day the problem was they'd connected 3 pipes wrong way round). plumbers,,, ach" spit!.

Most radiators not working is either a sticky TRV or just needs the system "balancing"
I would get the unit repaired before replacing
Ring up the maker and ask for an engineer to visit
As Freddo says the cylinder is separate so just get the boiler fixed

Temperature of boiler and steam in the boiler is all maintained with all certain limitation
For pulverized fuel boiler their is limitation of formation of SOx and ash fusion so we won't go beyond 1200 c
For CFBC boiler their is limitation like bed material get fusion so we won't go beyond 900 c to 1000 c.
The temperature are about the temperature of fire in a boiler. the below information is about temp of steam in boiler tubes
For steam temperature, Type of material using for manufacturing the boiler is main criteria. Most of the boiler are designed steam temp is 540 c
Very few types of boiler are going beyond this up to 630 c like ultra critical and super critical boilers.

Reply to Electric Fusion Boiler Repair or Replacement in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net