Discuss Electric sensation when touching pots on induction hob in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

sheyac

DIY
Reaction score
About 5 years ago during a full refurb on my house I re-wired the property myself (old aluminium wiring) in line with 17th edition. I had it all checked by building control and received the EICR certificate which passed on each part without any faults etc.
The earthing arrangement is TN-C-S.
I have noticed today when rubbing the side of a stainless steel pot on the induction hob an electrical sensation. The hob is on its own circuit and has its own isolation switch.
I confirmed with my multimeter that there is 50Hz between the pot and ground and some voltage (my meter is too slow to pick it up reliably) in the region of a couple of volts.
I confirmed that the hob body is 0v to earth by touching the body to a metal plated socket and metal plated light switch (all different circuits).
Not sure what is going on here or if it's normal?

TL;DR
Feeling an electrical sensation when touching a pot on an induction hob
Last edited:
Have you done any proper testing with an MFT? A high impedance multimeter will cause confusion in a situation like this.

No, just my multimeter. To be clear, the hob body is earthed, and the pot is sat on the glass surface on the hob, so can't directly test the surface of the hob (nor would I expect it to be electrically charged).
Edit: I just did a test where I placed a plastic tray between the hob and the pot. The pot still felt electric and registered the same readings on the DMM. Perhaps there is an electromagnetic sensor to tell the hob that there's a pot there which is active all the time?

Last edited:
Ah, could you be feeling vibration and mistaking it for an electrical tingle?

It is highly unlikely you are getting the sensation of electricity. The pan is isolated from the induction coil by the glass top, any voltage induced in the pan is low and by you touching it you are not creating a circuit even if you touch something effectively connected to earth, the pan is essentially it's own isolated circuit.

Reply to Electric sensation when touching pots on induction hob in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net